Has the behavior of tpto changed?

Serjourn Daxter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2359 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Has the behavior of tpto changed lately? I ask because I have cages in Pirandello Bay that suddenly have started acting up. When you click to capture someone into a cage, they are sent to the sim landing point and not the cage. This only affects some types of cages, namely cages that use tpto to force sit. Other cages and devices work perfectly. Vitals: RLV, Blue Steel Sim, the one being force sat using a RLV enabled viewer, the one doing the force sitting can use any viewer. This is 100% reproduceable with some cages and is not a problem with other. The parcel has landing point routing on parcel level. Avatars in the land group are not affected as they can teleport anywhere.  On region level "Allow Direct teleports" is enabled.

Is this "old" or something that has been around for a while? I just noticed now.

Edited by Serjourn Daxter
I found out that it is tpto and not sittp that is the issue

Hi, Serjourn.   Good to see you over here!    I'm glad you've discovered cause of the issue -- I was about to compose a reply.

For the benefit of anyone else who has similar problems, it's important to understand the difference between "sittp" and other kinds of teleport.   A "sit teleport" isn't, in fact, a teleport at all.  It's what happens when you sit on something, and the simulator moves you to the position specified in llSitTarget(<offset>,<rotation>).   Since the sit target for an object can be a considerable distance away from the object's root (can't remember how far it is exactly offhand, but it's a couple of hundred metres, I think), it's useful as a short-range alternative to teleports within the region.

It's particularly useful with RLV, since if a trap issues  an @sit command, then it grabs the victim, provided she is nearby, and places her where it likes, either on the object or at the location specified by the sit target (or it can move the victim even further, using llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast, since once you're seated on something you become part of the linkset for certain purposes).    You can also achieve the same effect using experience tools and llSitOnLink.

The RLV command @tpto, in contrast, forces the victim's viewer to teleport her to the specified destination, so long as the region's teleport settings allow it -- that is, if you can use direct teleport on the region, you end up at the expected destination.   If, however, the region has a landing point set, then the victim ends up there.    

This behaviour is similar to what you would experience when teleporting using the map or a landmark or double-click on the ground.     It is unlike llTeleportAgent* which, when used with experience tools, over-rides any landing points and puts you in the desired spot regardless of region settings, assuming you're allowed to access that area.

Speaking as someone who makes RLV traps, I can't really imagine many situations in which I'd force a teleport to move someone into a cage from a nearby position.   I'd always use @sit, precisely to avoid the kind of unexpected behaviour you describe.   But now we have experience tools I'd probably use them for teleports anyway, when possible.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2359 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.