MEDIA PLUGIN CEF

lily749

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2360 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello. I use Second life viewer and I've been having an error message:- media plugin cef whenever i try to log in.  Apparently I have to re-install the plugin. I have no idea how to do this though. I've uninstalled and reinstall it several times and even performed a clean install but all in vain. Even when I manage to log in there is another error ( darn, you've been logged out etc...). I used windows 7. Can anyone help me solve this please? 

3 answers to this question

The usual cause of this error is that your antivirus software has deleted or blocked SlPlugin.exe or the CEF plugin (llceflib_host.exe) from running.
It could also be caused by a bad install where some files are missing.

To rule out a bad install, please logout of the viewer & uninstall the Second Life viewer the usual way through Windows Programs & Features (Add/Remove programs on Windows 7 I think)  in control panel and download the viewer again from https://secondlife.com/support/downloads/ & run the installer.

If this does not help, make sure that your antivirus software is not blocking either slplugin.exe or llceflib_host.exe from running.
You should also manually whitelist these 2 files for good measure.
slplugin.exe is located inside the viewer install folder located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SecondLifeViewer by default. The llceflib_host.exe file is located within the llplugin subfolder.

The media plugin CEF error shouldn't cause the viewer to be disconnected (logged out) though.
To fix this, try logging into a couple of different regions to rule out a region problem.
If this happens on all regions, try logging in with an alt account & see if you still get disconnected.  If only one of your accounts gets disconnected then the problem is fairly certain to be caused by a flat inventory structure on the affected account, which LL support can fix for you..
If you get disconnected on all your accounts then you need to troubleshoot your connection & router/modem hardware.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you are going to do ANOTHER clean install, just turn off your Antivirus while you do the install and test the viewer. Turning AV off is easy and makes sure to eliminate the AV as a problem.

When you turn off your AV, you should close all other programs.

If this fixes the problem, close the viewer. Restart your AV and whitelist the SL Program folder. Then you should be able to run SL with AV enabled.

For a small performance improvement, you may want to whitelist the viewer's cache too.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2360 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.