Definition for instant message

XbabylonX

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

reading about instant messages (http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlInstantMessage) there is something that confuses me and its not technical. Its confuses me because english is not my native language.

So it says : All object IM's are throttled at a maximum of 2500 per 30mins, per owner, per region in a rolling window

Could someone explain me the meaning of this in practice?

Thank you.

You, as the owner of one or more objects in a region, may not have scripts in those objects send more than a total of 2500 Instant Messages in any half-hour period.  That's it, in a nutshell. 

You may send as many IM as you like, as long as you send them yourself, not using a scripted object that you own.

You may have scripted objects in other regions send IMs.

However, when any one of your scripted objects in THIS region tries to send an IM, the servers will ask "How many IMs have all of your objects in this region sent during the 30 minutes prior to this instant?"  If the answer is >=  2500, the servers will refuse to send the current message.

This is Linden Lab's way of preventing you from using scripted objects to overwhelm the servers with spam messages.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

You, as the owner of one or more objects in a region, may not have scripts in those objects send more than a total of 2500 Instant Messages in any half-hour period.  That's it, in a nutshell. 

You may send as many IM as you like, as long as you send them yourself, not using a scripted object that you own.

You may have scripted objects in other regions send IMs.

However, when any one of your scripted objects in THIS region tries to send an IM, the servers will ask "How many IMs have all of your objects in this region sent during the 30 minutes prior to this instant?"  If the answer is >=  2500, the servers will refuse to send the current message.

This is Linden Lab's way of preventing you from using scripted objects to overwhelm the servers with spam messages.

So if I use 2501 objects at once (each one will send 1 instant), 1 of them will fail, right?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.