Laptop upgrade

Vinculum

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4756 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

With Tax refunds rolling slowly but surely I shall be upgrading from my Gateway NV59C i3 Intel graphics to something that performs hopefully much better. I will have about $1500 to spend on this and so come asking the all knowing community for guidance. It must be a laptop for portability reasons and I would prefer something from a physical store such as Fry's or BB though if the product is worth it I wont deny anything. While I don't have high hopes for playing on ultra settings all day I would enjoy being able to jump to it for a picture or two. Thank you all in advance for any positive input.

9 answers to this question

Almost any PC/Mac/Laptop will have the CPU-power and screen to run SL these days, tablets, netbooks, smart-phones and the like won't.  The most important thing for SL is the graphics card and its memory.  You should get a card with at least 1GB memory (of its own, not shared with the processors) and as new/powerful as you can afford.  Depending on what else you are using the laptop for hard-disk space and battery-life are less important.  You should note, however, that a powerful graphics card is going to drain normal laptop batteries very quickly.

• Like 1

Darn you and your find of great computer right at budget online. Spent hours hovering over that buy button when I don't even have the money just yet. Thank you very much for your answer, I may go in that direction.

I know the feeling, I was trying to justify purchasing it but my laptop is still pretty new. If that doesn't work out for you there really are many good choices at you budget point. Maybe even spend a bit less on the laptop and get a large monitor and wireless keyboard to hook to it and use when at your normal location. Happy Hunting

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4756 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.