Target_Omega Rotation Issues

Gord McGinnis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2569 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been trying to get front wheel scripts to work without any success.  They rotate and work perfectly well however upon turning the vehicle the wheels at the front begin to flop all over the place.  The back wheels however are perfectly fine.  So long as I am going straight all works well and will work in other cars but when it comes to omega this all goes to crap.

Target Omega does work well in other cases but it seems that the Omega is following Global position and not local but when changed to local for pos I start to get issue.  Does anyone have a front wheel script for cars to turn left, right, forward and reverse using mesh wheels.  Prims are not an issue regarding movement and texture rotation but Mesh and target omega are a nightmare.

You would have to stop and restart the omega everytime the wheel turns left/right and back to neutral. Which sucks as well indeed, and which is why I avoided using omega by designing my mesh wheels to spin with texture animation. That doesn't work with spoked wheels though.

• Like 5

Try  llTargetOmega(<0,1,0>*llGetRot(), 0.3, 1.0);  or its SLPPF equivalent, using the wheels' own orientation in place of <0,1,0> if that's not right.  Be sure that your script is in the wheel prim (or references the wheel prim, if you are using SLPPF).

ETA:  And yes, as Arton points out, llGetRot() will change as you turn, so put that llTargetOmega function in a fast timer or whatever is watching your sense of direction.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 3

On 4/19/2017 at 5:20 PM, arton Rotaru said:

...which is why I avoided using omega by designing my mesh wheels to spin with texture animation...

This. Spot on.

So often when going for realism we forget that RL rules do not apply to our reality in SL. I love it when people get that we're all artists working with illusions in here... The whole point of VR as an art form is not having to cast a piece of rubber and fit it to an axle and make it spin with a motor and all of that; if it looks good, it works. xD

When I first realized how much animation in SL is literally animation like in cartoons, and can be done way easier using textures than actual "movement", it changed my whole approach to scripting. It's good to see other people thinking the same way. ^-^

Edited by Berksey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2569 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.