Setting the Map permission problem/oddity

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2552 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I use the LL viewer, and I get auto-updates, so it's right up to date. I want to set the permission for a user, who is in my Friends list, to see me on the map. It used to be a very simple thing to do, but now the method takes a lot of finding, but I eventually found it. It's a really non-iuntuitive way but it's there.

What it does is open up a list of friends who are in the normal friends list. But this list has a 'gear' at the end of each friend's line. The gear offers the option to change the Permissions for that friend - see me online, see me on the map, and edit. That's exactly what I wanted. And that's exactly where the problem is.

That list of friends is different to my normal list of friends, in that 2 friends are missing from it. One is my alt, which was created back when we could pay $5 for an alt, which was, therefore, associated with me. That one missing may make some sort of sense; i.e. it doesn't list alternative MEs. But the other missing one isn't anything to do with me, except that she's in my friends list. So there is no way for me to change any of the permissions for her, and I specifically want to grant her permission to map me.

Why isn't she on the list? When she's online, my normal friends list shows it, but she still doesn't appear in that People friends list where the permissions can be changed.

To be honest, I'm not expecting to discover the reason in this thread, and I may have to open a ticket, but I hope I'll discover something. I won't open a ticket until this thread has run its course, which may be a few days from now if nobody replies :)

Edited by Phil Deakins
typo

I only have 21 people in my Friends list, so, for checking purposes, I am more fortunate than you, Whirly :)

Ty for creating the Jira. I've never done that, and wouldn't know where to start. I've added my comment, which included the steps to take to change a friend's permission within the viewer. Yes, they can be changed within the viewer. It's non-intuitive but it's there, and it's quicker than having to go to a web profile. Here's where it is:-

1. In the viewer, open any profile, even your own.

2. Click the People button (the one in the left column with the 2 grey head-and-shoulders icon).

3. That brings up the list of friends in which permissions can be changed. Each friend has a gear icon. It's in the gear's drop-down list.

Edited by Phil Deakins

A thought just occured to me. From reading your Jira - the bit about repeating the problem by adding a friend - and knowing when the friend I want to grant permission to became a friend, which was maybe a week ago, I'm wondering if the list simply omits the newest one added. I'll check it out now.

[time marches on]

Well that didn't work. The new one shows in my normal Friends list, but not in the People list, AND the one I want to show, which is not now the newest, still doesn't show. I tried a relog, in case logging in caused the People list to populate, but to no avail. Now I have 3 missing lol.

I'm now wondering if no newer Friends will be included in the People list, and that maybe there's a viewer update when something was overlooked or omitted, and no new Friends since then will be included.

Incidentally, I got around the problem by using a different viewer to do it, but the bug does need to be fixed.

Edited by Phil Deakins
addition

I created a new account (FarmerPhil) and it's now got 6 friends using the LL viewer. He requested 5 of them, and the other one made the request. All the friends behave normally in his normal Friends list, but none of them appear in his People list. The account is less than an hour old, so I'll wait to see if anything changes with the People list, but it's looking like no new friends will make it into the People list, which means that permissions cannot be affected for new friends that are made with the LL viewer.

If anyone reads this and fancies friending him for the test, please do. He'll accept. When the test has run its course, he'll unfriend you - unless you fancy him, of course, but, if you do, I'd question your sanity :D

Edited by Phil Deakins
addition

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2552 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.