Ghosting

Jayde Askari

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2585 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I need some advise. Overnight last night I was showing as online, even though I logged out. When people sent messages, they did not get an offline message, and messages went to email. Now I'm logged on, and messages are still going to email. 

I've been told to get the sim I logged out on restarted, which I did, but was not there, does this mean I need to my there, so I get logged out? Otherwise I have no idea what to do.

I do not have a login issue, I can log in no problem. Would a clean install help?

20 hours ago, Jayde Askari said:

I need some advise. Overnight last night I was showing as online, even though I logged out. When people sent messages, they did not get an offline message, and messages went to email. Now I'm logged on, and messages are still going to email. 

I've been told to get the sim I logged out on restarted, which I did, but was not there, does this mean I need to my there, so I get logged out? Otherwise I have no idea what to do.

I do not have a login issue, I can log in no problem. Would a clean install help?

Hello, Jayde,

The "ghosting" (stuck presence) issue rarely occurs these days, but a clean install would not make any difference.

Stuck presence occurs when the servers believe an avatar is still logged in; the logging out process has failed to complete.  

As you reported this here 20 hours ago, and as Tuesdays are generally the days of grid-wide maintenance, the sim that your presence was stuck on will most likely have been restarted, and this will have cleared your presence.

Please advise here though if you are still finding IMs coming to your email, as that may be indicative of some other problem occurring.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jayde Askari said:

Still exactly the same marigold

Uh-oh.

So you are still getting IMs landing in your email inbox as if you are still logged into world, when you are not logged into world?

One thing I recall from when avatars would get stuck/"ghosted", is that you did not always leave the ghost at the point at which you logged out.  Sometimes a presence would get stuck on one of the sims an avatar had visited during that session.

Have you had any difficulties with logging in?  

Are ALL your messages coming to your email inbox?

If anyone sends you a message while you are not logged in, and it arrives in your email inbox, if it is someone who thinks they are actually standing with your avatar, please ask them to sent you the location/url.

When I appear online, but am actually offline, all messages go to email.

When I am really online, I'm missing 60-70% of messages, as they are going directly to email.

When I say ghosting, I have no visual presence inworld. I have mapping on for a few, and they are unable to locate me.

No issues logging in either.

As Marigold said, this issue happens rarely anymore. But the last time it happened to me, I had someone report that they saw my dot on their minimap at a location on the mainland (which my avatar, at the time, was not). I teleported to that area and, in doing so, it forced the system to bump the old ghost of me.

I'm not sure if your situation is similar but it might be something to try.

17 minutes ago, Jayde Askari said:

When I appear online, but am actually offline, all messages go to email.

When I am really online, I'm missing 60-70% of messages, as they are going directly to email.

When I say ghosting, I have no visual presence inworld. I have mapping on for a few, and they are unable to locate me.

No issues logging in either.

Its very weird when you are in IM with someone, logged into world, and you think they have gone all quiet on you, then you see their messages have gone to your email isn't it?  Weird - and frustrating if you're trying to hold a conversation!

It does sound symptomatic of a partial stuck presence.  And if it continues, and no one else comes up on the forums with a similar problem and/or solution, then I do feel you need to contact Linden Lab direct . IF you do have a stuck presence, I think it is possible they can switch you off by deleting the lines of data that relate to your avatar.  I think!

https://support.secondlife.com/create-case/

In my case, it just happened to be someone I knew who was shopping and saw my dot on the minimap, but when they went to find me, I wasn't actually there.

You may try backtracking to the locations you visited before the issue came up. 

Of course, no guarantees that it'll fix the problem--I just know that it fixed it the last time it happened to me.

If it doesn't help, you might file a bug report/case and see if LL can get you fixed up.

Watching this thread with interest.  This problem was reportedly solved a couple of years ago by some server code changes.  At the time I reported that ghostings were still occurring though thankfully not to me.

The only resolution that my friends who did get ghosted (often as a result of failed sim crossings while sailing) was to relog themselves and TP into the sim where their avs were "ghosted".  As Marigold says the sim automatically eliminates the "ghost".  The issue is remembering where you've been and going to all those places!

Really this is an issue that LL technical can solve fairly easily if they can be bothered.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2585 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.