My internet keeps disconnecting

Roselyn Enyo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2766 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

i installed SL on my laptop a few months back when i got my new laptop i cant spend very much time on my laptop with SL with out the interent disconnecting every 30 mins to an hour sometimes even sooner then that from the internet iv got SL on my desktop an i dont have this issue with that an my past laptops never had the issue ether (this one being vastly better then my last ones) we got a new router but i figured if that was the issue my desktop would be disconnecting to 

idk whats up an i cant seem to fix it 

1 answer to this question

I hate to say it, but this one does sound like a hardware issue with the laptop, especially since you are not having any trouble with your desktop on the same router/modem.  The big worry is heat. SL puts a rather heavy load on a graphics card, which means that it draws a lot of power and releases a lot of heat.  If your computer was not designed for gaming (or if it was, but has a lot of dust and cat hair inside), it will have a hard time getting rid of all that heat.  To protect itself, it will simply shut down SL if the temperature gets dangerously high.  If you keep pushing it, you can cause permanent, expensive damage.

There are a few things you can do.  The first is to install a free temperature monitoring program.  Just do a Google search -- there are good, reliable ones that come up at the top of the list.  You should normally expect temperature on the graphics card/chip to increase when you're in world (mine goes up almost 20 degrees C), but it shouldn't get much over 70 degrees C.  If you disconnect again, check to see what the maximum recorded temperature was.  Second, take some measures to reduce the load on your graphics card (or chip).  Reduce your draw distance, drop the Quality slider to Medium, set your Maximum Number of Non-Imposter Avatars to 5 or fewer, disable advanced lighting, and lower your Avatar Complexity slider.  Third, do what you can to clean the innards of your machine.  This is really easy with a desktop, but you may need to take your laptop to a professional.  Have the professional double check to be sure that the vents are clear and that your fan is running smoothly too.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2766 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.