i keep crashing tonight... every 2 mins.. my internet is fine! what is wrong?

Gigi Hausner

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2736 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

1 answer to this question

It's more than a little hard to guess without knowing anything at all about your computer or your Internet connection.  Just because your connection is "fine" for e-mail, web browsing, and playing some games on line doesn't necessarily mean that it is stable enough to satisfy SL, which can be very picky.  Bandwidth is rarely an issue, but connection stability is.  If your computer and the SL servers get out of sync by much, you can experience lag, difficulty teleporting, inventory loss, and frequent crashes.  So, that's one line of guesses to follow.  Get off of wifi if you are on it.  Use a cable or DSL connection instead.  Reboot your router and your modem and restart everything.  Hope for the best.

A much scarier possibility is that you are overtaxing your graphics card.  SL puts a heavy demand on cards, and one that is not designed for gaming can use a lot of power, generate a lot of heat, and shut down to save itself.  If you keep on pushing it, you can cause permanent, expensive damage.

As I said, though, I can only guess, because you haven't said anything about your computer.  If you want to provide extra information or need to clarify your question, click on the Options link in the upper right corner of your question and select EDIT. Please do not start a new thread. Doing that makes it hard for us to see what other people have already suggested, and it pushes other residents' questions off the page.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2736 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.