Gravity environments

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4319 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is there a gravity environment in Second Life that would allow a torus space station to be built. Down would be from a line with the gravity radiating away from the line in all 360 degrees. it would be like walking around on the inside of a wheel. In the real world in space a torus space station would be able to generate an Earth gravity by rotating. The second life environment would provide an opportunity to build a full-size model of such a space station, which could operate like the real thing in space.

If this is not possible at present, how soon may it be. Such a gravity environment could be in a large box located high in the sky, which avatars could teleport to.

Stjarna Szondi

island Earth

If the station is actually rotating the physics in SL is fine enough to make physical objects obey the physical forces in play.
Physical objects would end up on the "floor" of the torus.
If at the same time they have the buoyancy set to one, they would not be influenced by SL gravity.
Avatars would be influenced too but I don't see how they could stand or walk on the torus "floor"

I actually worked on methods to make this work once (and the reverse, mario world style gravity around a small spherical surface)... it can be done, but it's really choppy, and requires more than a little prep.

it cannot be done natively at this time, nor is it an expected ability in the near future.

as noted above i can be faked for some scenarios.

Thanks for the insights. For this to work, the walking and moving experience will need to be as normal as possible, like walking through a long shopping mall in SL that is joined in a loop. In the real Star City that could be built, about a two thirds of the way in would be an inner level with a Mars gravity environment, where space-farers could prepare for activities at Mars, or simply visit the Mars environment without having to travel to Mars. What the actual gravity level is doesn't matter in SL, but it will be important in the real space world. In the centre of the real Star City there could be a zero gravity swimming pool and this could also be simulated in the SL model.

Because a full working model of what will be humanities first permanent home beyond Earth, if Earth-gravity is deemed essential for health reasons and maintaining Earth-gravity fitness, I will keep searching for ways to make it happen. It may already be possible now, somewhere. I hope this somewhere will be SL. 

If anyone is interested in the project, IM me in SL and I'll give you an island Earth flier. This is part of seeking a safe Earth, which includes the building of solar power stations in space to access the unlimited energy well of our star in space for Earth health and space development.

Celest, 

Stjarna

This isn't presently possible with Havoc's existing implementation on the Second Life Simulator as far as I understand it, however, using OpenDynamics on OpenSimulator, it is possible to turn gravity down extremely low or off completely, and let centripetal force handle the situation.  Though I'm not sure either simulation environment handles walking on a torus cleanly under those conditions, so even if you can make it work in OpenSimulator, no gaurantee you would be able to orient your avatar correctly relative to the direction of apparent gravity.

Interesting concept.  I doubt there's quite enough interest in that sort of thing to make the Lindens terribly interested (though I could be wrong), however, if you pitch the concept as specifically as possible on opensim-dev, you might get some interesting feedback or possibly inspire an OpenSimulator developer to work something out.

• 1 year later...

HI,

i think so to, with osgrid, opensim software there is a way to turn off the gravity on your own sim.

And :D you can link it than to the plattform osgrid or somewhere else, so your sim is avaiable to flybyes :D

The walking in the station....

puff....

Should work with using llGetForce, thought

And!!!!!!!

there are ZERO GRAVITY scripts TO BUY. If they make it possible to walk on the floor?????

Love it

voidbull.jpg

Andy

ps:

:D if someone is interested.... i am doing stuff, or i am trying to do stuff in Sl. Scripts, objects, also in Opensim. Maby selling also :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4319 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.