Why when I hit the directional key to move my avitar it takes 3 seconds for him to move ?

Bronson Runner

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2877 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

1 answer to this question

I suppose it could be your keyboard, but I suspect that it's actually your Internet connection.  Next time you are logged in to SL, open your Statistics display  (CTRL + Shift + 1) and look at the value of Ping Time, very near the top of the display.  For most people in North America, that value should be less than about 75 msec.  That is to say that it takes a signal 75 msec or less to travel from your computer to the SL servers or vice versa.  Mine is usually about 60 msec.  SL residents in Australia typically have a ping time over 150 msec, and they complain about exactly the problem that you are describing ... delayed response to movement commands.  The signal from their computers has to travel halfway around the world to California, so the ping time is naturally longer.  The servers and their viewers start to get out of sync.  Anything that slows down the signal will have that effect, even if you are much nearer to Linden Lab than Australians are, which is why Linden Lab strongly advises people not to use a satellite connection, for example.  Any slow link in the signal pipeline will do it.  If you determine that a long ping time is your problem, take a look at Nalates's blog for suggestions about what to do next.  And then talk with your ISP.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2877 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.