any viewers from 2.5.0 onward are non-functional to me

Psistorm Voxel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4778 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Starting with SL viewer 2.5.0 (and mesh beta 2.6.0), I can no longer use:

- my friendlist. everyone either is Unknown or (loading)

- teleports, each attempt will log me out

- scripts in inventory, compile/upload will fail, request timed out

I sit behind a router, which i have configured according to the wiki page on port forwarding, and the problems start as soon as I try to use 2.5.x instead of my current fallback, 2.4.0. Any help in that regard is appreciated, since I want to use the latest viewers.

Please do NOT direct me to TPVs, i do not wish to use them. I wish to make use of 2.5.2 and onward, since it seems to be a problem that started and persisted with every release after 2.5.0.

Ontop of that, I do require the mesh beta viewer, which has the same functional problems. Any help is greatly appreciated.

6 answers to this question

One simple thing that you can try is, disable HTTP GetTextures (in developers menu) & relogging. That fixes the TP issue for some people. Also reducing your bandwidth to around 500 (if it is set high) can also fix the TP crashes.

The other 2 issues sound sim related, have you tried in several different places? Go over to Smith and see if its any better there.

Ill try and disable that feature, thanks. and well, it seems to affect any sim really. mesh beta, i log in, see an empty sim with only my character rezed. any attempts to tp out result in logging out.

on the live grid, the sim does rez after a relog usually. i can also log into other sims than my home sim, but generally, teleports will fail. 2.4.0 works flawlessly however, for no discernable reason. on another note, i also tried various cache resets and clean installs, all with the same result. but i will attempt your suggestion and hope :)

You are not alone with having problems on 2.5 when 2.4 was ok, lots of people seem to report a variety of problems, some can`t get into it, so they must have fixed something that wasn`t broken as usual lol....There are a few things that are meant to be corrected for 2.6, but sounds like not this one, check to see which JIRAs they still have unresolved too, sometimes the comments on those offer good workarounds.

Those all sound like connection problems. If you can borrow or swap out a router, that's what I'd try. I had similar issues until I got a new router. Also, is there a reason you are port forwarding? There's a list of SL ports that need to be open on the router, but they don't particularly need to be forwarded.

well, i use a router/DSL modem combination, i dont really have the option to try something else right now.

as for forwarding, the router doesnt support opening, only directly forwarding ports, as far as i could determine. seeing as you say connection issues, i wonder what changed between 2.4.0 to 2.5.0 to cause this sudden loss of functionality for me.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4778 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.