Gift

Riskaye

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2957 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am new to SL, only a few days.  Someone offered me a shape and skin that would like me in their family.  I am worried about hidden, nasty scripts.  They told me that nasty scripts cannot be put in a shape or skin, just objects.  Is this safe to accept?

Hi Riskaye,

Bobbie's quite right. Only prim objects may contain scripts. Skins, shapes, and classic clothing layer items are not prim based, and so they cannot contain scripts. Objects like HUD elements, furniture and buildings, worn attachments like belts, pants cuffs, shoes, blowtorches(!) and jewelry are prim based and so you should exercise some caution in accepting such things from strangers.

That said, scripted things can only cause harm when they're rezzed. So long as they stay in inventory, they're inert. So, if you do accept something from a stranger, you have a chance to examine it in your inventory before taking the risk of rezzing it.

Oh, and good luck with that family that wants you. Should you eventually have a falling out with them, I'd be happy to give you a... blowtorch.

;-).

I reread this post, and now I am a little worried.  Someone gave me a tmp dress that was free with the TMP female body was first introduced and they were giving a free dress with it.  I was a little sceptical at first, but checked the properties, and saw it was from the same creator as the tmp free body.  Should I be worried about malicious scripts in this dress?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2957 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.