Prim creation misused by another.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4781 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I had a fellow contact me and give me supreme heck for his mistake.  He asked me quite bluntly, Can you tell me why a pair of glasses that I made now has you as the creator and owner?!!! He sent me the glasses and while I was looking at them, he yellled at me, saying I should be careful not to go around making full perm sculpties because people are stealing the maps!  I calmly reponded that I don't usually sell anything with full permissions.  He ranted how stupid I was, called me "Dude" and told me to stop it. 

I told him his issue is that he obviously used one of my prims and linked all of his prims to it, making mine the parent or root prim, therefore making the entire object, mine.  He didn't want to listen and yelled more crap at me in IM, so I was rude and told him "listen "dude", learn how to link your prims, idiot, and F**k off".  Maybe that was uncalled for but I've been in SL since 2006, have been making objects and clothes for years and this little snot tries to tell me how to do things?  Please!

What do you think, was I too harsh?  Usually I'm quite friendly and I like to help people, but he just jumped down my throat! And if he's such a great object creator, why the heck is he using other people's prim objects?

The "F**k off" part might have been less than professional, but overall, it sounds like the motivation for your response was justified.  It was honest, in any case. 

Assuming your story is accurate, then the person in question WAS an idiot, at least for right then and there, in that moment.   It's one thing to arrive at a misunderstanding, due to ignorance of how something works.  It's quite another to refuse the given explanation after having asked for it. So, I can't say you were wrong for calling it like you saw it.  I can understand why it's probably rattling on your conscience a little, though.  Negative encounters like this are always a little unsettling.

I don't think I personally would have responded quite the way you did, but that's just me.  I don't think you did anything wrong, for what it's worth.

For what it's worth, the same thing happens here on the forums from time to time, so I can relate.  Someone asks a question, and then I volunteer considerable time and effort to offer as detailed and informative of an answer as I can, only to have the person lash back at me in anger.  I've never understood why people do that. 

I've been able to make peace, at least to a degree, with the fact that a certain percentage are just going to do that, and that's all there is to it.  I know it's beyond my control, so intellectually I'm aware that I shouldn't be bothered by it.  People will do as they're going to do.  But still, whenever it happens, I always do feel a bit unsettled afterward.  There's never any gettting around that completely.  It's just one of those unfortunate things we have to deal with in public spaces like SL and its forums.

In any case, I'm not sure what point he was trying to make with the full perms sculpty thing.  If you had sold a full perms sculpty, and someone else snagged the map, that quite obviously wouldn't have anything to do with why your name was on this guy's glasses.  Needless to say, all it would do is enable that other pesron to make their own sculpty be shaped just like yours. Plainly, the "dude"'s glasses have nothing to do with that, one way or the other.

Was that presented as a spearate point from the link issue, or was he trying to say they were one in the same?

• Like 1

DeDe Doowangle wrote:

IHe sent me the glasses and while I was looking at them, he yellled at me, saying I should be careful not to go around making full perm sculpties because people are stealing the maps!  I calmly reponded that I don't usually sell anything with full permissions.  He ranted how stupid I was, called me "Dude" and told me to stop it. 

What do you think, was I too harsh?  

That dude was rude! You weren't harsh enough. As soon as he called me stupid, he would have went on my mute and ban lists. Just curious though, how did he yell at you? Were you using SL voice to converse with him?

considering how many times this has happened with one of my other accounts....  ::sighs::

anyone who's starting position is nastiness, gets one chance and one quick explanation, past that it's, "next time learn what you are talking about", followed with mute.

I feel for the poor creators of megaprims... as they get this sort of abuse all the time from clueless people, and you'll notice in most of their profiles, one of their picks addresses the topic.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4781 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.