Got some questions about clothes made in "Marvelous designer 5"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2963 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If i import an avatar from second life, make a shirt or a dress, will that shirt then fit all the avatars in second life no matter the size of other's avatars?

And since designer 5 uses dynamic clothes with physics, how can i make the shirt or dress stick the way i want for second life?

And regarding exporting the clothes to second life, do i need blender? Or/and what other programs do i need to sucessfully get the clothes to second life?

I am very new to this clothing design thing as i just started and tried to make a simple top and pants yesterday, so all imputs would be appreciated.

sonarctica Teromaximus wrote:

If i import an avatar from second life, make a shirt or a dress, will that shirt then fit all the avatars in second life no matter the size of other's avatars?

No.  There are two ways of sizing and rigging clothes for the SL avatar.  One is to use the Standard Sizes models, which which are available on the Marketplace.  The other way is to use Fit Mesh.  Fit Mesh doesn't fit everyone exactly right, so some designers to a couple sizes in it.  Fit mesh is also used to make mesh clothes fit mesh bodies.  You may want to obtain any developer kits for mesh bodies available from each mesh body creator.

See these Wiki articles:

And since designer 5 uses dynamic clothes with physics, how can i make the shirt or dress stick the way i want for second life? 

You have to rig mesh clothes to the avatar, see the links above.

And regarding exporting the clothes to second life, do i need blender? Or/and what other programs do i need to successfully get the clothes to second life?

Your file needs to be collada (*.dae).  You may need Blender to covert your files to that format if your software does not support it.

I am very new to this clothing design thing as i just started and tried to make a simple top and pants yesterday, so all imputs would be appreciated.

The SL Wiki is your friend.  It contains information you need to create mesh clothes and links to other information and tutorials etc. 

You can also Google it and find tutorials

Lastly, if you have specific questions you can post them in the MESH forum here for help.

The MESH forum is the place to ask specific questions about Marvelous Designer, importing etc.

I don't make clothes (well a few but only under duress) but I can say from reading posts that there are often issues with Marvelous Designer clothes which tend to be very DENSE in the mesh and don't work all that well in SL. So for example if it takes a minute for folks to see your dress --- well then you are standing there naked for that minute. Not good.

So while you are working -- try and keep it SIMPLE. Too many polygons are not good for games :D. Good luck!

Hehe, well, for me, there can never be too many poly's :P I'm just starting out trying stuff, but when second life 2 arrives, i will go to full making of clothes (yes, they are making a completely rebuild of the game to support lots more programs to direct upload clothes and better system optimization of new hardware instead of the hardware made a decade ago, and the new version will also support the same dynamic clothes physics as designer 5 shows)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2963 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.