a scripting question

Tiggy3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2988 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

i have created a spoked wheel with 4 prims that all rotate around the wheels center axis, I want to attach this assembly onto a cart, without the whole thing becomming one item and all spinning , and still just have the wheel assembly rotating? I only understand simple scripting so far, so if i could find a script that may work, that would be nice!

2 answers to this question

I think you're going to be out of luck.

LSL doesn't support hierarchies of linkset, which means -- to put it simply -- you can only really rotate a whole object round its centre or rotate individual child prims round their centre. 

What you can't really do, is rotate mutiple child prims round another child prim's centre.   Technically,  it can be done but the end result would not look right -- the overall effect would be jerky and the prims would keep moving in and out of alignment.   Anyone sufficiently experienced with LSL to know how to do it will also, almost certainly, say it's not worth the effort -- it would not be a trivial piece of scripting and the end result would look horrible, no matter how hard you try.

You might consider buying a tool (like Mesh Studio) that can read the parameters of an object made from prims and generate a .dae file that you can then upload as a single mesh object.  That would then be very easy to rotate when it was linked to the vehicle.    That, or buying mesh wheels, is all I can suggest.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2988 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.