Folders Creation within Marketplace Listings

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3011 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Gabrielle Hamelin wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I just can't figure out how to have 'folders' inside of my listings on MP.  Any thoughts please? 

i.e. I would like to have one dress folder with sub folder sheer/non sheer versions and an accessories folder. 

The answer is ... you can't. A single product may only contain a one-level list of items, it may not contain folders. Separate styles, colors, sizes, etc. must be made into individual listings .. OR .. each one put into a separate object (Ye Olde Product Box) and then the boxes all listed as items within the product.

So: One box for small, one for medium, one for large .. repeating until your hand cramps or you wander off into the desert out of boredom-induced madness.

I do have a freebie script on MP that can help you ensure each box has the right stuff inside, each item in each box has the right permissions, and the box itself is easy to open and Copy To Inventory.

I see it .. and I don't believe it. All official word I've heard says that what I see is impossible. But I see it. Therefore it exists .. therefore I have been told wrong. But .. but ..

(system shutdown .. reboot .. critical error encountered)

*sigh* Beats heck outta me Gabrielle. I can only surmise that she created a folder structure in her personal inventory then copied & pasted it into an existing product folder (or maybe a new folder) in the marketplace listings window. But from everything I know knew to be true .. her listings cannot exist.

I thought you just created the folders within the main active listing folder?

Direct Delivery had this option so to go from this to removing this ability would be a retarded implementation of viewer managed marketplace.

What you cannot do is have one listing for colour variants for example but I don't think this is your example.

If they have spoiled the old DD method, then I can only surmise that the listing you refer to is a migrated one.

By the way, this thread belongs in the merchant forum.

Darrius... always listen to Sassy:-

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Sassys-Rigged-Cube/5366291

(I just created the folder called "Instructions")

Edit: I suspect that the issue is that in the example given in the JIRA case, they copied over a folder structure from inventory and VMM incorrectly handles that case.  What I did above was to create a new folder directly in the VMM pre-existing listing.

That may be the discrepancy.

Ahhh .. so pre-building a desired structure then dragging it intact to drop it into Marketplace Listings will most likely NOT work. However you can manually build the structure and populate it one folder/items at a time. Curious.

So instead of having the "Drop" action do the expected (by anyone that has ever written a graphical UI interface or read a "Style" manual for Windows/Mac/X-Windows/etc.) add the dragged structure into the drop target location ...

They chose to make it do something totally different and unexpected. AND non-normal.

Why am I continually surprised when these things come to light?

Signed,
The Eternally Hopeful Skeptic Doom-n-Gloomer

Gabrielle Hamelin wrote:

Thank you so much for this feedback and clarification...can this thread be moved now??

*apologies*  I couldn't find the Merchant forum...but will look harder now.

Only a moderator (when they're not sleeping) can move this.  I'm not fussed where it goes but marketplace threads tend to get more attention in here:-

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Merchants/bd-p/Merchants

Just an update for all..it works beautifuly if you just create folders within the listing and then move after the fact.  I created the structure with a new listing (before listing) and again after to correct one...what a thing of beauty to allow one to see any missing items or glitches...phew!

Thank you all for such attention to detail and a perfect fix to this vexing question I've had for months!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3011 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.