Problem: Multiple faces revert to 1 face

Nikohl Hax

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So just for a quick visual before I start explaining this:

The build I'm working on is for a gacha, when I texture it initially it looks fine like this: https://gyazo.com/a9eb3a44db286d3dc67b089583acad16

However, the second I copy or try to take the build all of the faces seem to take on the texture of only one of the faces, mostly it takes on the face of the shadow: https://gyazo.com/c1e095f64a4b97b63ff529d4285f99fb

I've tried rebuilding, exporting to obj then to dae, uploading/texturing in different viewers, uploading/texturing on different avatars, uploading/texturing on different regions, undating graphics card drivers, updating my viewers, clearing my cache, reinstalling 3ds max, etc etc etc.

Also, I submitted a ticket to LL and their response was to upgrade to premium membership and then MAYBE they will attempt to help me figure this out but...no promises.

Has anyone had this issue and knows of anyway to work this out?

You should have come here before doing all that what you have done. :matte-motes-smile:

3ds max material names have a space in their name by default. With the recent SL viewers, material names are truncated at the space which results in the broken mesh you describe.

Solution for the time being, untill this viewer bug is fixed:

Rename the materials in 3ds max so that they won't have any spaces in their names.

Well I see you may have an answer that posted while I was typing.

Since your work doesn't seem like a newcomer :D (nice job) I am going to leave this up here just in case that space issues wasn't the issue.

There have been several instances of similar issue over the years. Drongel replied to one of them and it was long ago. THEN it was in a JIRA. It may or may not have been fixed.

How many materials do you have in your object? And is it a joined object (this is Blender talk so it may be another term) or a linkset?

Was this on the Beta Grid or the regular grid?

Those are all helpful things to add.

AND if it was "just today" that the issue happened, the grid (many sims) has been VERY VERY VERY bad for building.  I muddled though but it was painstakingly slow and I left myself without a top on because my mesh came undone and wouldn't attach again.

So, if JUST today, the simplistic answer would be to have a cup a tea or whiskey or something in between and see if it is still an issue tomorrow (this if things get better -- seems like lots are on vaction this weekend and beyond -- which really IS OK :D).   

I always rename my textures when Im applying in Max just to I know what everything is. I double checked just now to ensure that they were indeed space-free and yeah they are.

The object is joined and has 3 faces, also I uploaded it on a regular grid, my mainstore region and also on two other regions.

This problem has been going on for 5 days now D':

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the Map, I'm talking about the Material.

The other reason why this behavior appears, is when you have more than 21k triangles in a single material. Bit it didn't looked like that in the images, and since you mentioned 3ds max, the material names is the #1 reason why this happens what you describe.

Well, It has certainly nothing to do with where you paint your textures. But you will have to apply materials in order to make a multi matarial mesh. The multi/sub mat contains 3 materials then, and those 3 have to be named without spaces with the current SL viewers.

Anyway, good it's working now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.