Best Videocard for SL...Which one?

Moketti Broome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3071 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi!

I need an help, what video card you suggest me for SL?

1. GeForce GTX 580  price of  $110,00  (Used)

2.GeForce GTX 950   price of  $149,00  (New)

here there's the link with G3D Mark : http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=68&cmp[]=3295

I would like to know if the used videocard  it's good as well for SL to dont have any problem in world? Because i'm in the mood to take that one...

I'm asking here in the forum , couse I dont know anything about all parameters that the test gives .....and considering that i have a choice between used video card and a new videocard..... 

Tjank you very much!!!

2 answers to this question

When you're shopping for an NVidia graphics card, pay attention to the numbers in its name The first number is a Series identifier -- usually also a clue to how new the tehnology is.  So a 950 card is a newer series than a 580 card.  The last two numbers are more important, though.  The higher they are, the more sohpisticated the card is, and the better the quality.  So a 580 card should be better than a 950 card for performance.  Balancing the two measures is tricky, which is why it's smart to look on the Internet for benchmark comparisons, as you have.  Here's another one, for example >>> http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-950-vs-Nvidia-GTX-580/3510vs3150  .  You'll see that the GTX 950 gets a slightly better evaluation in that comparison, just as it does in the one you gave a link to.  I suggest doing your own browsing to see what other comparisons say.  In the end, the best advice is usually to get the most powerful graphics card you can afford (and that your computer can handle), since you know that it's a matter of time before whatever you buy will be out of date. 

EDIT:  New vs. Used is hard to evaluate.  In this case, though, the price difference is not really very great.  I'd say that it's not worth trying to save a few dollars if the tradeoff is to get a less powerful card.  If they had been several hundred dollars apart in price, of course, I'd feel differently.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3071 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.