How to optimize SL with maximal setting and NVIDIA control panel?

RaZeR Jupiter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

I use that exact same Graphics Card with on an i5 and on an i3 PC with excellent results. These are using only a single GC not a 2X configuration.

FPS is not only a function of the GC in your system. Certainly, the speed that the GC can render the visual data and hints gives you your maximum theoretical FPS under ideal circumstances. The other factors include the speed of your Internet Service as well as its reliability in terms of a minimum % of packet loss.

The default settings on the nVidia Control Panel [default to the game settings options] have been servicing me well especially since SecondLife is not one of the normally included benchmark templates for "Games" that nVidia issues a profile template for. [This is of course because of the wildly variable complexity of user-defined content].

The few SL Graphics settings that I choose to tweak are:

1) Anisotrophic Filtering - I turn this off unless I want perfectly rendered imagery for a movie or for a picture. [This has the greatest effect on FPS in my experience when in Ultra Mode.]

2) Run one notch below Ultra mode - This helps FPS immensely.

3) Always set your Draw Distance to what you require for the situation you are currently in - e.g. If you are participating in an SL 1st person shooting competition the 512 meter distance is usually too high.

Other things to make sure you tweak:

1) Make sure that you have a great NIC in your PC. - On-board NICs are usually OK but their relationship with your router even with a Cat5 / Cat6 cable has room for improvement. An often overlooked issue comes with the auto-negotiated setting. Manually setting your NIC to 100 / Full-Duplex can help if you have a overly sensitive router

I'm sure others will chime in with their advise as well.

• Like 2

30 fps is AWSOME for SL  :)

really... only in the (paid) browser version you will constanly have a higher fps, but with other limitations.

Second Life isn't a optimized computer game, so everything you see has to be downloaded to your local machine, there is nothing pre-made and installed on your machine.

the best result for optimizing settings for SL. you find in your preferences /graphics, the higher, the more demanding.

Basicly the only thing that can improve sl is a good connection and fast graphic cards.

When you think you fps has to get better :  lower your drawdistance, shadows (both) reflections, point lighting, dept of field.... and a few more.. ( all or/and ..depending on the result. Mostly drawdistance is the first to give improvement )

fps 10 is low of course, but when you can keep it between 15 ( busy places) and 30 ... it's pretty good.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.