Is SL having a problem? Nothing is loading, even friends and landmarks

prometheus20777

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3139 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

As I log into SL (I'm using Firestorm 4.7.3), it is saying "Requesting Region Capabilities..." then it says "Attempt 2" "Attempt 3".  It will stay there for several seconds, before moving on.  Then, when the world loads up, my avitar is smoke!  I wait for 3 minutes, but it never changes.  So, I tried to IM some of my friends, but, while the list is there, there are no names, just parenthesese.  I tried to teleport, but it is only saying "serching" when I call up my landmarks.  I know it's not my connecxtion, because I'm online now, every web page comes up VERY quickly, and i have a 92mbs connection... I just clocked it.  So, is SL having any issues?  

1 answer to this question

No, but you are.  There are about 45,000 accounts logged in at the moment and there is no grid-wide issue on the Grid Status blog.

When you get that message that your viewer is "requesting capabilities", it's telling you that it can't connect to vital databases to give you access to your inventory, your friends list, and a number of other things.  Those are each called "capabilities."  Until you have access, you are not fully logged in.  The reason is almost always that you have a crummy Internet connection.  You may have great bandwidth -- that's almost never a problem -- but your connection is unreliable, so it's losing data or experiencing unusual slowdowns. It may be fine for watching YouTube videos and doing normal web browsing --- maybe even playing some online games, but not good enough for SL. If you are using a wifi or satellite connection, don't.  Many people have no trouble with wifi, but Linden Lab does not support it.  (See https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Wifi-and-satellite-connections/ta-p/1296823 ).  Try rebooting both your modem and your router by unplugging them from the power for a few minutes anbd then restarting everything, including your computer.  If those steps don't clear it up, check with your ISP or consult Nalates's blog for advanced suggestions >>> http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3139 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.