if your interested in seeing lod changes i have set up some displays

linkin Slate

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

on mesh hq 2 sim what i did is have rows of a mesh object  each lod level is a different shape, so when you walk  past them depending on distance you can see when they change , also i  did each  rows in different sizes  so you can walk around them getting a idea of different  sizes mixed .

shpere is  highest sqaure med  cylender low cone lowest.

what i find with all this is most times  unless your standing right on top of a object high lod hardly shows, and low to lowest are more common.

i might be wroung here but this seems like its defeating the perpose of a step down lod system, id think the idea here is to allow you to produce  at veiwing range a high quality  mesh and at less needed veiws less detail is needed thus the step down lowers over all cost as to full mesh at all ranges of veiw, but what im seeing is with current set up,is the main high end of our mesh is lost.

one qestion if any one else might be interested  in this ,is, can we have control ,some slider, where we can set when lods change.  like a building  there big enuff your going to up close see high and med lods  and probally be in next sim before lowest shows but most content will be in the smaller size, it be nice to on smaller object set the change later or greater distaints 

Are you thinking a mesh setting? If so, I doubt it. The LoD control is in the viewer. The control affects all objects the viewer renders.

See Debug Settings 

RenderAvatarLODFactor

RenderDynamicLOD

RenderShaderLODThreshold

RenderTerrainLODFactor

RenderTreeLODFactor

RenderUseShaderLOD

RenderVolumeLODFactor - Controls level of detail of primitives (multiplier for current screen area when calculated level of detail)

As you can see several LoD factors for different objects are built into the viewer rather than the objects.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.