After downloading SL Viewer, it crashed my laptop.. badly

PrincessKnightCape

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello all, I'm posting since I'm curious to know why this has happened.

I downloaded the SL viewer from this site and it was fine for a while until it Blue Screen on me, and then afterwards, I had to do a factory reset since it wouldn't start up correctly. 

I never had this problem before on other laptops but then again I never used the SL viewer until recently. 

Any idea why this happened? 

I was on skype and SL at the same time if that makes a difference. 

I'm also on a HP laptop running Windows 10. I can provide more information if needed.

Please and thank you. 

2 answers to this question

The SL Viewer software will not damage your laptop per-se however, if your laptop has any other uncorrected issues it surely will exacerbate them. A Blue Screen System Halt is a very serious fault now a days. The majority of these will be related to the operating system getting a serious hardware error notification.

Please let us know what laptop [make and model] you are using so we may be of further assistance. 

Possibilities that the SL Software will trip over include but are not limited to:

Graphics Subsystem component failure or overheating. Memory failure.

Please update your question with the requested information as follows:  Select the Options drop-down menu to the right of your question and select Edit Question.

A blue screen is only ever caused by a hardware fault or a driver fault. An application runs in a sand box (memory space that is separated out from the system). If an application crashes you will just get an error message like Second Life had a problem and stopped working.

One way to find the culprit is to down load and run WhoCrashed from http://www.resplendence.com/downloads (scroll down to the Crash Analysis Tools section and download the free version).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.