Door rotation in box not working right [resolved]

Umaeril

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok this got resolved with the post below mine. Thank you Rolig!

Hello this is rather a newbie question since I don't script and it is very hard for me to understand it so far. 

I have a box with a lid that uses a door script to close. I did not write the script obviously. Anyhow, when I rotate the box 90 or 270 degrees and open the lid the lid does a twist before it opens and the bottom side texture becomes the top of the lid. When it closes all is well again and the top has the right texture. When I rotate it 45 degrees the lid opens and sits in the center of one side of the box. Takes 2 clicks to get it closed then. So I have no idea what to do about this and was seeking someone who could possibly help me inworld? Is that possible? 

I can paste the script, however, it is really long and full of commentary. So if I could work with someone inworld I think that would be better. But if someone wants to see the script I can edit this and paste it. 

I wonder if it has to do with the original rotation of each part not matching up? 

Cordially,

Uma

ps: Please contact Umaeril Resident inworld if you can help. Thanks!! 

It is impossible to say without seeing the script, but it sounds like a fairly common rotation problem.  Rotations can be confusing for new scripters (and a lot of experienced ones too).  If you are using a script that was not written by someone who understands rotation math well, or if the script was originally intended for a very different application, or if it has been damaged somehow, it's no surprise that it's not working for you. You could go to the trouble of finding out what's wrong with that script.  However, if it is truly as long as you say it is, you should probably just discard it.  There's no reason for a box lid to have a complicated script.  If I were you, I would just use a nice, basic script like this one >>> https://community.secondlife.com/t5/LSL-Library/Simple-Hinge-Action/m-p/875331 .  It's very easy to use. Read the notes. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.