Completely new, trying to get clothing to work.

BrynhildrBjornsdottir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone,

I just started Second Life, and so far it's pretty cool to run around and look at everything. I know there are events and such, but I'm still learning and all that. My problem is that I can't seem to find clothing that works with my avatar.

I know it is easier if you use a "classic" avatar, but I don't care for any of them, even with all the adjustments I make. I've chosen the "Sara" avatar, and then modified height/weight and other things that I could modify. I have some hair I like and some accessories and such, but I can't seem to find any shoes/boots, pants/skirts, or tops that fit her without graphical problems. Like they will cover only a small part of her, or be floating somewhere odd, or not attach to the right part of the body. I've made her very short, so that may be one of the issues, I am not sure. I know that the avatar I'm using can only use "mesh" clothing, and that the little orange box icon is the only stuff I can wear. I also know how to unpack/open stuff and all of that... or at least I think I do. I've done several community tutorials, but still can't seem to figure it all out.

Anyway, any suggestions or advice on what/where to look for clothing that would actually fit. I've looked into designing my own, but have not been successful thus far.

Thank you for your time and help.

Bryn

The reason people suggest using a classic avatar is that the mesh starter avatars don't work with any other clothing. There is no mesh made to fit them, and they do not have any kind of alpha HUD to hide any part of the mesh body so that you can wear regular mesh clothing. You wear what it came with. 

What is it about the classic avatar that you don't like? If you're having trouble editing your shape to something you like, you can purchase ready-made shapes, and some are free. If you hate the skin, you can get another one (insert my usual plug for Pink Fuel, which offers a high-quality freebie for avatars under thirty days). If it's the general jaggedness of the shape...that, I'm afraid, you're stuck with unless you buy a mesh avatar.

I strongly recommend, if you really feel you can't deal with a non-mesh avatar, that you save some money, buy $L, and invest in a much better mesh avatar than any of the starters. 

Thank you so much for the information, I really appreciate it. It seems I'll need to buy a new mesh avatar, I won't have any money to spend on this until next month, so was looking for something to use before then. You are correct that it is just the general jaggedness of the classic avatars that I dislike, I'll take a look around the shop though and see if there is something I would be OK with. Thank you again for the information, I truely appreciate it.

You can modify a purchased shape if you purchase a modifiable shape. The permissions should be listed on the right-hand side of the listing, somewhere. Copy means you can make copies of what you purchase; Mod means you can modify it; Trans means you can transfer/give it to someone else. Look for a Copy/Mod shape. You shouldn't need to transfer it to anyone, so that part is unimportant. You want to be able to make copies (in case you mess up) and modify it so you can change anything you don't like.

(Keep in mind that if something is Transfer, but NO Copy, giving it away will remove it from your inventory.)

You can make your own shape, or modify one of the newbie shapes. Personally, I usually buy a shape with a face I like (since that's usually the hardest part to modify) and then modify from there. My current shape looks very little like the original! Lots of little tweaks through the years. Alternatively, try the Vitruvian shapes for a great starting point for a proportional human avi, or the standard size set as a guide to shapes that will fit in standard size mesh clothing. 

Skins usually can't be modified, although you can buy add-ons like make-up, brows, etc to change it up a bit. 

You don't really need to buy a "complete avatar." I don't actually suggest it. You'll look more unique if you piece together something on your own, that works for you. There is no reason to buy shape and skin together other than convenience/laziness. 

If you'd like, I'll be on for a little while. Feel free to shoot me a message if you're inworld. I like to shop. :smileywink:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.