what settings should i use?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3273 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

That info is good for a rough estimation of how fluidly SL will, on average, run on your computer; but even a much more extensive description of your system wouldn’t necessarily procure an exact prediction of FPS... which would be a merely academic exercise anyway, as the number would still be far higher in very empty sims, and far lower in heavily decorated and/or populated ones.

To compound the problem, we don’t even know what are your preferences in terms of performance vs. quality. Yes, for emptier sims you may well crank it up to Ultra and still enjoy FPS up to, or even above, your monitor refresh rate (meaning, you wouldn’t notice any better anyway); but every now and then you may want to go to a more graphics-intensive place where you may get relatively low FPS... and that’s the thing: we don’t know how often would you go to such places, we don’t know whether you’d prefer keeping it to the max and suffer some slowness on occasion or use a lower setting that’d keep it fluid everywhere or keep changing them depending on the place... and we don’t know how slow is “too slow” for you. I have a lower graphics card model that in very empty sims can peak well over 120 FPS and usually can get me very near the max. 60 FPS of my monitor. But when I go to a populated area, sometimes it slows down to under 20 FPS, and it shows... yet here’s the thing: I don’t care, nor do I usually bother lowering settings to compensate, because it’s still enough for me to type, participate in chat and generally move/cam around without much hassle. On the other hand, I never use deferred rendering (projected shadows) even when the place would allow me to use them without noticeable slowdowns, because a) I don’t much care for shadows anyway, and b) I prefer it when the graphics card doesn’t turn its hum into a rumble.

But that’s me, and my point is, you have to decide which settings YOU like. So simply go to a few of your usual places, try different settings and find which ones yield YOUR preferred balance between quality and performance :smileywink:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3273 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.