In regards to decorating...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm thinking about getting my own land and my own house but I'm curious about a few things.

1. If I give my friend permission to edit my objects and whatnot, can they edit the textures on my house, move furniture around that I've laid out and so forth? I know they can't access the inventory. I was just wondering if they could edit the textures on the walls, floor, and stuff like that because I don't know how to edit textures just yet.

2. What are the risks for giving said permissions? Could they edit the land itself and "grief" my property? Could they steal objects such as the furniture and the house? I am going to copy everything before I try to edit or let anyone edit it. I just wanted to know are there significant risks involved?

3. I heard it's possible to hire an "interior decorator" in the in world employment forums. How exactly does that work? Do you pay for all the furniture or do they just make you pay a certain amount and use stuff they made or have in their inventory?

4. Is it possible to hire a person to retexture a house? 

Thanks!

VanessaVoltaire wrote:

I'm thinking about getting my own land and my own house but I'm curious about a few things.

1. If I give my friend permission to edit my objects and whatnot, can they edit the textures on my house, move furniture around that I've laid out and so forth? I know they can't access the inventory. I was just wondering if they could edit the textures on the walls, floor, and stuff like that because I don't know how to edit textures just yet.

If you give someone your mod rights, they can do most of what you can do to a build and to the land.  The only thing they can't do is lock items into their place or unlock them.

2. What are the risks for giving said permissions? Could they edit the land itself and "grief" my property? Could they steal objects such as the furniture and the house? I am going to copy everything before I try to edit or let anyone edit it. I just wanted to know are there significant risks involved?

The risk is that they mess something up, so it is good to have copies in your inventory. 

3. I heard it's possible to hire an "interior decorator" in the in world employment forums. How exactly does that work? Do you pay for all the furniture or do they just make you pay a certain amount and use stuff they made or have in their inventory?

This depends on the interior decorator.  Some will create custom furniture for you, and some can't do that.  For the decorators work, you will pay by the hour or one fee for it all.  You will pay for any furnishings that are new to you, either by buying them yourself on a shopping trip with the decorator.  Some may quote an inclusive price but that price includes the price of the furniture.  You may also need to pay for textures if they don't have what you'd like in their inventory already.

4. Is it possible to hire a person to retexture a house? 

yes  there are people that will do that using textures bought from a texture store as well as people that can create custom textures.  The first will be cheaper the second may be your choice if you want your house to be unique with all custom textures or have a specific texture in mind that is not available in SL.

Thanks!

My advice when hiring a decorator is to ask to see work they have done in the past as well as references and check them out.  Interview at least three before deciding who to hire to see if you can work with them and they can work in the style you want, such as modern, traditional, Victorian etc. 

Don't pick the cheapest price unless the work that you see is fantastic and all references are glowing.

Don't pay up front, set up a payment schedule so they get paid some during the job and a final payment when they are finished.  Also don't hire someone until you have the all the money you need to pay for the project.  Be prompt in paying too.  Nothing is worse than finishing a job and expecting payment of the balance just to be told that you have to wait to get paid, except a client that won't pay.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.