cant log in, get message checking region capabilities

Dobermans Hansome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3284 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Am at a motel and cant seem to log in. keeps checking region capabilities and then tries a handshake and then get message to check internet. I seem to be ablt to do anything else with internet.
Explorer is fine and even tried some games and they all seem to work just fine, just seem s to be trying to connecxt to sl. I have tried other viewers and same thing. Never had this problem when I have trveled before and use wifi in motels

1 answer to this question

Wifi can be very flaky. Linden Lab does not recommend using it for Second Life if you have a choice.  (See https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Wifi-and-satellite-connections/ta-p/1296823 )

"Capabilities" is a code word for access to vital databases like your inventory, friends list, and group lists. When you are logging in, your viewer needs to connect to each of those databases in order to give you access to many vital in-world functions.  Until it does, you are not fully logged in.  Failure is usually due to a weak or unreliable Internet connection.  Bandwidth is not the issue generally.  What you need is a connection that is steady, does not drop packets of information, and does not have noticeably long ping time.  You may be able to do normal eb browsing, watch YouTube vidoes, get e-mail, and play many on-line games with a flaky connection, but not SL.  SL demands a steady, continuous data stream, trading data between your viewer and the SL servers 45 times a second.  Motel wifi routers/modems are notoriously bad at delivering that sort of quality. (I'm in one right now, in fact, and there's no way I can log in to SL.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3284 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.