Invisible Avatar

darksly99

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2775 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So, I originally was trying to fix a problem I thought I was having which was my avatar was not loading.  However, I am now realizing my original issue is that my avatar loads but loads invisible.  I am a new player and selected my avatar, however when I load into the world I am simply not there (not a grey mist).  I went through the rebaking and relogging, tried a new viewer, clearing the cache and all that stuff.  What I found was that if I remove the alpha layer a very basic looking avatar appears but no where like the one(s) I selected (I tried several to make sure it was not just one being wacky).  Anyone have any suggestions?

3 answers to this question

It sounds like you selected one of the new-style "mesh" avatars.  Those are meant to be worn like a suit of armor, over your "real" avatar.  There's an alpha layer that goes between them to make your real avatar completely invisible, just in case it pokes through the mesh avatar.  So...  you were not wearing the mesh, but you were wearing the alpha layer, which made you invisible.  When you removed the alpha layer, you saw your default avatar inside.

You have a couple of options.  One is to be sure that you wear all parts of your mesh avatar, including its alpha layer.  The other is to avoid using a mesh avatar altogether until you know more about Second Life and can deal with it gracefully.  Select a different avatar from the chooser -- one that does NOT say "mesh" after it.  That would be my choice, if I were you.

• Like 2

This is a little but here goes. I have the same problem. What I've been trying to do was like you said, Select a different avatart. Problem, where is this so called chooser you spoke of. And if you send me an ingame message be aware, I have no club how to find those

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2775 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.