What is wrong with my model?

Madeliefste Oh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4810 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Maybe it is not the model you made but your viewer. Have you tried an other viewer?

I had this problem too several times lately, i was always crashing when i tried to upload a picture, texture or object.

I tried several viewers and on quiet times. In the end it worked with Imprudence.

Too many triangles? I think the limit is 65536*. Surely you son't want a comb counting nearly 100 prims* anyway? I guess you need to simplify it, a lot. Hmm....but why does the preview show it then? If it is too many triangles, it would be better for the viewer to give an error message than to crash! Maybe a jira is needed.

*...the "resource cost" on the left.

*Wrong. See Runitai's post below!

84,000 triangles is way way too high for this type of object (and above the upload limit of 64K triangles).  Note that details smaller than 0.5 millimeters are *too small to see*, given the Viewer camera clipping objects too close, and typical monitor sizes. 

When making gently curved tapers like the comb teeth, imagine a perfect curve for the object, and then the actual approximation made up of triangles.  If the approximation deviates from the perfect by less than half a pixel at whatever viewing distance the object will typically have, that is good enough. At the closest viewing distance (0.5 meters), half a pixel is 0.25 mm.  I would model one comb tooth as about 3 rows of triangles lengthwise, with a square base, or 24 triangles per tooth, and about 25 teeth in your version, so 600 triangles total, plus no more than 6 vertexes at the sharpest curve on the upper right of the image you show, somewhat more to model the gentler curves in the rest of the handle and body.  I would estimate 300 triangles aside from the teeth, so 900 total for the model.  That model will not be visibly different from an infinitely detailed one.

Similarly for the texture map, if I assume the comb is 20cm long, and the smallest detail you can display is 0.5mm, then the comb will be at most 400 pixels long on the screen.  Therefore a 512x128 texture mapped across the entire comb is sufficient.  Any higher detail simply isn't visible, and a waste of texture loading time.

• Lindens

Er.. 65536 is the max vertex limit, but there is effectively no max triangle limit, so crashing on uploading the original model is a bug.

That being said, even a 2,000 triangle comb is ludicrous by industry standards for a game engine.  Try using an alpha texture for the teeth and use some of the recovered triangles to put the curve back in the handle.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4810 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.