May we have some better ban options?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4802 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

With the submitted media black/whitelist patch hopefully neutering all these alt-detector piles of junk I think it's now time to think about something else, too:

The "ban" options we currently have are totally, utterly, ridiculously pathetic. Ban by name? Sheesh. Gimme a break, even ancient IRC did better than that.

I think it's time that land renters (after all we don't really "own" anything in SL - LL owns it) get some better tools for banning people. If I ban someone, at the very least I'd like a few checkboxes: "machine ban" and "IP ban". These two, I think, should be reasonably easy to add. The idea is that I can ban, say, "Jane Doe", then check the two boxes, and without me ever seeing her IP or machine hash, have everyone banned who matches her current IP and/or hash. An additional bonus would be a checkbox "Only allow viewers from the TPV registry".

I'm aware that this doesn't actually help one iota with copybotters or dedicated griefers, but it should help getting rid of idiots. And possibly provide a nice cozy false sense of security for some.

While i agree to have more options to keep people away from places, ban by IP and we´r back at R..zone.

The Jira says "Avatars connected to this account..." but how to know. The closest would be ban  then machines hardware-adress but like email and .... this can be faked to easily. Someone who wants to grief or stalk will never state the same email-addy than used at the main account; well i hope or this person deserves a lifetime ban :smileyvery-happy:

I agree, and as gesture of good faith I offer up all the structures built over the water to be deleted as an exchange of resources for the addition of better ban options. Call it eminent domain.

Let's draft a letter to SL.

Dear Philip, We ... wait

Dear M, damn it

Dear Mr. Humble, We humbly beseech you oh high sir. Please throw us some crumbs from your mighty mountian of resources. P.S. use the internet, we have email, just not from you, yet.    

I totally agree that dedicated griefers will always get around any ban, even hardware- or IP bans. It's more a convenience option. After all, they can even get around age-verified or PIOF requirements fairly easily.

The idea is to NOT expose alt info and such to end-users, while giving current users of "alt-detecting" and "copybot-detecting" system the illusion of protection. Any better protection would require a more fundamental change that's simply never going to happen. Like, if I set my land to access only by group members, its contents shouldn't even render for anyone else. Technically feasible, practically never going to happen with LLs abysmal track record.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4802 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.