Able to read profiles of deleted accounts?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3454 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Are we suppose to be able to  read profiles of deleted accounts?  I deleted an account back in  2007 and just found and read my old profile, I was hopping that it was gone.  The Linden viewer will find deleted accounts but not open them, one of the TPV will all so open them.  Is this some thing that should be reported?

Why does it matter if you canceled the account?   If you have the calling card of someone who cancelled their account, you can also see their profile by opening the card.  Some people clear their profile altogether before they cancelled but you still see a blank profile.

It is just another example of what is posted on the internet stays on the internet.

Lexia Moonstone wrote:

Are we suppose to be able to  read profiles of deleted accounts?  I deleted an account back in  2007 and just found and read my old profile, I was hopping that it was gone.  The Linden viewer will find deleted accounts but not open them, one of the TPV will all so open them.  Is this some thing that should be reported?

Linden Lab should change the word from "Deleted" to "Cancelled," because the reality is that the accounts do not get deleted.**  Otherwise you could never reactivate.

**What I was told but have no documentation is that in the early days of SL they discovered a problem.  Because of the way content is associated with the creator, deleting the account also deleted the creations.  So they would archive these accounts. 

But I have also heard but again no documentation that there have been occasions when LL has deleted cancelled accounts from the Data Base.  If my above statement was true, these deleted accounts must have been accounts with no associated creations.  For instance, someone registered but never logged in.

But this is all hear say on my part.  If LL has ever actually said anything I am unaware of it.

ETA, the reason you can see them in TPV's and not the official viewer is the TPV's rely on the old Legacy Profiles.  The Official Viewer opens the Web Profiles.  They must be handled in separate but inseparable ways by the Server.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Lexia Moonstone wrote:

Linden Lab should change the word from "Deleted" to "Cancelled," because the reality is that the accounts do not get deleted.**  Otherwise you could never reactivate.

**What I was told but have no documentation is that in the early days of SL they discovered a problem.  Because of the way content is associated with the creator, deleting the account also deleted the creations.  So they would archive these accounts. 

But I have also heard but again no documentation that there have been occasions when LL has deleted cancelled accounts from the Data Base.  If my above statement was true, these deleted accounts must have been accounts with no associated creations.  For instance, someone registered but never logged in.

But this is all hear say on my part.  If LL has ever actually said anything I am unaware of it.

ETA, the reason you can see them in TPV's and not the official viewer is the TPV's rely on the old Legacy Profiles.  The Official Viewer opens the Web Profiles.  They must be handled in separate but inseparable ways by the Server.

I was wondering if it was even intended by the TPV, it only happening in a search field not used for general searches.

I remember back in 2007 people were still panicking about deleting accounts because of content disappearing, but I think LL had just stopped removing the content around that time. 

Back in 2007 I think the reactivate time was limited.  Which might be why I was surprised to find my old account, because that was the rule back then.  Today I see there are no limits to reactivation time.  Likely because of the need to keep content around as you pointed out, may be for tax records too?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3454 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.