Object names gone after upload linkset.

Christhiana

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3592 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm building a house in blender which consist of multiple mesh parts. When I uploaded the whole linkset to the betagrid I noticed that the linkset gets a name but all the individual names of the objects I set in blender all changed to 'Object'. When I upload any of the parts individually they do have the name I set for it in blender.  I don't know if this is something specifically to the betagrid since I don't want to waste L$ uploading an unfinnished model to the normal grid. Has anyone else had this happen? Maybe I'm missing something during upload? I found I can give a name for the whole linkset during upload but I can find no option to retain the individual object names.

Oftentimes I find that even with a single object the uploader renames to "Cube 03" or whatever. I haven't noticed any large difference in the beta and regular grid.

Typically  you would not upload a house as a linkset. Have you tried walking around inside your house? :D. There are physics issues that need to be addressed in SL and uploading as a linkset makes it trickier.    The other thing is that it will often be less expensive to upload the individual parts and then link inworld. So experimentation is important and finding what works for you.  You can also join the whole house (with a custom physics model) as long as it doesn't have more than 8 materials defined.

If you haven't tackled the physics for houses in SL there are lots of good threads in this mesh forums that help explain things. It is the least fun part for me but you might love it!   If you upload your house in pieces the physics will be simpler to deal with  -- at least for the houses that I build. You will still need to make sure you can walk through your doors and such.

I am guessing Drongle will have a better answer for you LOL, but that's my two cents.

I guess it are the quirks of SL then :)

I like to upload the basic model without LOD and with autogenerated physics first to get a good feel for size and see if all the mapping is done correct. Then piece by piece I replace the parts with a version with the correct LOD and physiscs. This way I can keep every piece in the same place I have them in blender without having to calculate each position. So in the end it won't be to difficult to check each individual piece when I upload them seperatly and correct any wrong names. I was just wondering if I did anything wrong. It would have made texturing the basic model at little easier with the correct names on the objects :). I also prefer to lat every piece have it's own physics model. That makes it easier for customers to mod the build to their liking.

I think I have the physics thing down enough to make a good low impact physics model. And I actually like tinkering with things like unwrapping and physics details, but that might be because I'm still new at it. As long as I'm learning from something, it's still fun :)

...and if you have to walk through it, prim instead of convex hull, I'm starting to get it :D

Nice house.

"Object" is the default name given after the uploader tries several ways to find a name from the data loaded from the collada file by the collada library. So it seems to be able to find the Blender object name for just one mesh object (collada <geometry>), but not for subsequent ones. So the rest all get called "Object". I don't know why. Nor can I remember (if I ever knew) what determines which object is the one whose name gets used. The Blender exporter certainly puts all the object names in the collada file. You can override the single chosen name by putting a name in on the upload options tab, but that doesn't solve the "Object" naming for the others.

Thank you!

I did notice that the name presented in the uploader is the name of the last selected object in blender (which will be the root prim of the linkset in SL). If I import a single object seperatly it so far always seem to get the name correct so I'm sure the names are set correct in blender and exported along with the object. I guess I'll just have to work around it. The house consists of 41 objects so it's still doable :).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3592 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.