Can group owned land have a sub group?

Bastet Hynes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4915 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

We have group owned land (mainland), and want to rent it out.  The new tenant would like to make the land in HIS group name so he can do what he likes on it.  ex. invite people to HIS group, terraform, plant stuff.  We do realize we can give them full permissions, but he wants to have his own group to do these things. He (the tenant) said that the land would stay in the owners name (group) and would revert to the original group when they stop renting.

My question is...is this possible?

4 answers to this question

AAH!!!...DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!

Deeding land to a group is a change of ownership, so deeding it to your own group is fine, you would basically be giving away your land if you do what you are suggesting. If the tenant stops paying rent and refuses to give back the land, there is NOTHING you can do about it.

The only way I would even consider a deal like that would be if the tenant was making you an owner of his group.

EDIT: If the tenant is premium can own land, why is he even renting?

• Like 1

Yes, what PeeWee said!!   Your perspective tenant obviously does not understand the difference with renting on Linden mainland vs renting on a private estate.  Private estate owners can parcel out land and allow their tenant's land ownership rights, like group deeding.  However, the reason they can do that is because they also have the exclusive right to revoke their tenant's ownership and get back control of the land parcel.  As PeeWee pointed out, allowing your tenant the ability to deed your group owned mainland to his group is basically selling him the land and you would have no way of forcing him to give it back to you.

--Cinn

Peewee.Musytari wrote:

The only way I would even consider a deal like that would be if the tenant was making you an owner of his group.

I wouldn't even consider a deal with joint group ownership.  Groups with multiple owners are hard to dissolve if the owners have a falling out.

Anyone thinking of renting out mainland should look very carefully at the group roles and abilities that you give to your tenant.  For example, there is a group role that would allow the group member to sell the land!!!   Don't just assign a default role like Officer to a tenant.  Create a new role and only give them the abilities they need and no more.

And as far as multiple group owners, the only people I would allow to be a co-owners of one of my groups would be one of my alts!  And even then, I'd watch them carefully.

--Cinn

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4915 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.