I've just had to do a force update on my viewer and now it won't launch

Faffenella Darcy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4879 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

17 answers to this question

Hello Faffenella, if you have PowerPC-based Mac

System Support Note:
As of Viewer 2, Second Life will be  supported on Intel Macs (OSX 10.4 and above) only  -  PowerPC-based Macs  running Viewer 2 will not be supported.
Viewer 1.23 will continue to support the PPC platform.

To download Viewer 1.23 please go here.

If you choose to delete the Viewer 2 please save any chat logs before removing the programme.

If you have an Intel Mac, please post your System info

Asking for tech help? Be sure to provide your system info!

If   your question is of a technical nature, like "Why do I  keep crashing  when I wear my animation override?" or "How come my graphics     look  messed  up?", please BE SURE TO PROVIDE YOUR SYSTEM INFO (click the link for how to do it, it's easy!). Other Residents can't effectively help you without knowing these details first, so it's absolutely necessary for you to share.
  • Like 1

I've had no error messages. When I double click the SL icon it looks like its going to start up the loading process then nothing happens. I've not had this problem before and have been using SL since 2008 and all the updates have worked until now. The older version of the viewer still works but still says it needs the update. Sorry I know that's not much help but not a lot is happening lol. I've added a screen shot of my Mac's spec...

Aah, you have an Intel Mac Although the OS is a few years old, it should work with Viewer 2.

You might have a corrupt setting; try completely uninstalling ALL Viewers, saving any chat logs, if you wish.  How  do I fully uninstall and reinstall Second Life? Make sure the all CachesUser Settings and content of any Temporary folders are also deleted.

Check that you have the full version of Flash Player (including the player for Firefox/Safari), see Version Test for Adobe Flash Player, and the latest Quicktime and Java.

Reboot your computer.

Download the latest Official Viewer from here http://secondlife.com/support/downloads.php,  save the programme to your Desktop and install, using the default settings.

Try logging into Region Smith, see Changing your login location and wait for your Inventory to fully load.

EDIT: Try the Official Viewer 2.3 .. that message means you were using the Beta version of 2.4, which has been updated this week.

Message was edited by: Ellla McMahon

So I've deleted everything I can find to do with SL. I've updated the Flash. I've re-started and zapped my P-Ram. Re-installed the SL viewer and when I double click the icon it briefly appears in my doc bounces for a second or so then disappears.

I've just logged in on my Macbook pro and that's working. Hmmm...

I know the issue isn't sorted yet but thanks to all that are trying to help !

Just a quick comment, most of those suggestions do not apply to Mac users, with the exception of possibly removing the user data files. Macs don't lose chat logs when updating, or have uninstallers (removing the user setting files has to be done manually,), or require QuickTime or Java updates (which are managed by Apple system updates.) Rebooting is almost never required unless the user can't access the internet (and if you know how the Network control panel works, you can often use that instead.) It isn't necessary to delete older versions of the viewer, just don't launch them. Mac apps are pretty much self-contained with no dependencies.

I think the real reason the OP is having trouble is because beta 2.4 is not compatible with most recent iMacs. I cannot run 2.4 beta either, it hangs immediately on launch and requires a force-quit. The problem is 100% repeatable. I've heard this is due to incompatibilities with ATI graphics cards, and I hope LL fixes it because virtually all new iMacs have ATI cards. The problem is a combination of issues with Apple drivers and the viewer code.

Like the OP, I can run 2.4 fine on my Macbook Pro, which has an nVidia card.

I searched JIRA the other day to see if it's been reported but I couldn't find anything. I'm pretty sure the issue has to be in there somewhere, it affects a lot of people, so I was hesitant to enter a duplicate. Several Mac people said they were having trouble on the blog announcement page. Maybe you could find it?

Thank you Paladin for your very knowledgable comments

I had looked for an issue on Bug Tracker but didn't find anything. But checking, just now, with the extra info re ATI cards, it looks very much like

Hard Hang on Mac

which was reported against Viewer Second Life 2.3.0.

There's also

Turning on RenderDeferred causes complete system crash with ATI graphics cards

but that's been reported as related to RenderDeferred.

Just a quick question  ..

..which are managed by Apple system updates

If the OS being used is 10.4.11; there've been no updates for quite a while. Will Safari / Flash Player etc be up-to-date if the User doesn't manually check ? Problems with blank Search and the ToS windows have been reported by Mac users too. I wonder what should be suggested as a workaround for those users

Thanks for looking Ella. I've actually had that hard hang myself a few times, but turning off etiher one of anti-aliasing or deferred rendering fixed it. They've done some work on that now but it isn't perfect yet (I think that's why I crashed last night, after looking at too many textures.) The hang I get with 2.4, which doesn't happen in 2.3, is that the initial launch window won't display, so I can't even get to the login screen. As soon as it tries to open, the viewer hangs and the cursor spins forever till I force quit. The Mac is okay after that, it doesn't crash the computer. I just can't launch the viewer.

I'd forgotten 10.4.11 wasn't being updated any longer, so yes, you're right about needing to check for updates to QT. And Flash needs to be checked manually by everyone on any version of OS X, the system doesn't do that either. So thanks, I stand corrected.

I guess I should JIRA the launch issue in 2.4.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4879 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.