What do I need to know about buying land for a skybox?

Sonya Bigboots

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4941 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,

I am thinking about buying some main land (probably between 2048 and 2252 square meters) to house a skybox to be used as a group meeting place. Becasue I have never bought land before (I don't think aquiring a Linden home counts ) I want to ask some questions that may have pretty obvious answers to people who have done this before.

• If I decide to just buy cheaper PG land, what can't I or group members do on it behind closed doors inside the skybox? What are the real advantages of buying more expensive Zindra land?
  • If the skybox is very high in the sky, does it matter if the skybox is not exactly the same shape as the land and overhangs some edges slightly? (I realise this would be inconsiderate and unacceptable at ground level, but will it matter thousands of feet in the air given the odd shape of some land parcels? Or would furniture risk getting auto-returned?)
  • Are there any limits to heights you can set the skybox at on land you own? For example, at what heights will you not be able to build in the skybox, or teleport systems from the ground level fail?
  • How can you tell if you are buying land next to a lag creating neighbour? Will lag at ground level affect you hundreds of feet in the air in a skybox? Or is lag equal everywhere in any given sim?
  • Is land next to Linden shorefronts or Linden roads really worth more? Does it have less lag, or is it just higher priced becasue it looks nicer and adds open space?

Feel free to also point out any other important issues about buying land for skyboxes I haven't even thought about.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice,

Sonya.

1 answer to this question

Since you mention the figure 2252, I assume that means you know about the 10% bonus that groups get.

1) If I remember correctly, if you are on PG land, then you aren't even allowed to do something like use a sex bed, even inside a closed room.  I wouldn't pay for Zindra land unless you want to have sex out in the open on the ground below your sky box.   Sex inside a house is fine on Mature land - I suppose it gets a bit questionable if you are wantingt to have sex outside the skybox, say in a hot tub on the roof.

2) I would not overhand any of your land boundaries.  Not only could items get returned from other land settings, but you risk an AR because of it.

3) Keep the sybox below 4096 to enable build.  If you want the sky to be pretty, you need to stay below 750. Cloud level is around 250, so you don't want that height unless you want clouds floating thru the skybox.  I've no clue about TP systems, but LMs work fine at the higher heights as well as TPing from the map.

4).You can never be sure, on mainland, of what may come in the future.  However, if you find land for sale, you can start flying up and stop periodically to look around and see what is up there.  Lag on land comes from a few things -- lag from lots of scripts will affect the sim at any height, lag from lots of textures and spinny things only mattere within your view.

5) If you want to ensure that nobody will build close to you on some sides, the land next to Linden water or roads is good.  Best though, in my mind, is land next to a void sim.  Not only can nobody build there unless LL expands the area with more sims, but folks cannot even be flying in that area.  I live on a sim that has void sims on 2 sides and it definitely decreases the traffic that I get, both on the ground and in the sky.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4941 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.