Camera Help using V2 on MacBook Pro

Pisa Fredriksson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4948 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have recently become a modelling student in SL, where it is necessary for me to move my avatar smoothly, forward, left, and right, using the arrow keys.

My camera seems to easily jump about, and the arrow keys don't respond as quickly as I seem to need.

Would checking "Disable Camera Constraints" help?  When is that used, anyway?

Also, what is "mouse smoothing?"

Finally, I can't get the Apple wireless mouse to right click, even by using two fingers on the right side, which is what the store tech told me to do.

Thanks

Pisa

4 answers to this question

Pisa Fredriksson wrote:

I have recently become a modelling student in SL, where it is necessary for me to move my avatar smoothly, forward, left, and right, using the arrow keys.

I know near nothing about modeling (I guess you mean being a model, not shaping objects or coming up with scientific/technical models etc.) in SL, but I'd assume animations are used for that rather than manual navigation.

My camera seems to easily jump about, and the arrow keys don't respond as quickly as I seem to need.

How responsive your avatar is to pressing the arrow keys depends on your network latency and the performance of the simulator (server) of the current region. The camera adjusts its position automatically to avoid getting inside or right behind objects, which would block the view. You can use scripted camera placement to lock it to a fixed position relative to your avatar. However annoying the camera jumping might be to yourself, as long as you can still steer your avatar, it shouldn't matter for fashion shows (that's what models, do, don't they?) as others won't see anything of this jumping (except of course when you're also the one recording or broadcasting the show from your screen).

Would checking "Disable Camera Constraints" help?

Probably not with these issues. The camera movement (when 'caming around' e.g. with Alt-click-drag; dunno whether it also affect the auto-placement mentioned above) is constrained by default to avoid the camera entering objects, going underground or getting too far away from your avatar.

When is that used, anyway?

When these restrictions get into your way (e.g. you want to zoom aaaaaaalll out to get an overview picture of a whole region) or when you are (like me) annoyed by how strangely the camera bends when you hit the maximum distance to your avatar.

Also, what is "mouse smoothing?"

If I remember correctly, that only applies to mouse look mode. When in that mode, mouse movement will change the direction of your camera. However, mouse movement is often jittery and rough. Jittery and sudden change of view can be annoying and even cause headaches or seizures for some. This is avoided by smoothing the input signal before using it to steer the camera. However this induces a slight delay and can also interfere with quick precise movement, thus there is an option to turn the smoothing on and off.

Finally, I can't get the Apple wireless mouse to right click, even by using two fingers on the right side, which is what the store tech told me to do.

I don't have a Mac, but I've recently collected some information about secondary-clicking on them here.

You have to tap the trackpad pretty hard to register clicks, I had the same trouble when testing the demos in the Apple store. I've also found that pointing accuracy with the new mice is difficult. I'm not fond of those new mice and when I bought a Mac recently I specifically requested a wired, traditional mouse. If the trackpad wireless mouse is a problem, you can purchase any inexpensive 3-button USB mouse and plug that in instead.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4948 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.