how do you do the invisible part for shoes?

Zaphara Lutrova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi, I was wondering how you do or make the invisibility part for shoes and boots, what script or texture and where do you put them? Does teh whole shoe or boot need to be covered? Is there a new script ot texture? I use viewer 2 and have windows xp.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou,.,.

7 answers to this question

shoes with invisiprims has an extra prim that hides the part of the foot that is sticking out - this prim is called invisiprim (invisible prim). inside this prim an invisible prim script is dropped. but, as you are using viewer 2 (or any other viewer that supports the alpha layer for that matter) an alpha mask would be a better option. this hides part of the avatar mesh completely and you do not get the ugly block like effect on transparent surfaces etc as you will with an invisiprim.

i found a great starter set at trin trevellion's store, free and full perm (not for resale) - see it here: http://sindecade.blogspot.com/2010/04/alpha-layer-set-pro.html

you can make your own if you have some basic knowledge in a gfx program and templates available.

• Like 1

Hi Zaphara,

Natalia Zelmanov has a tutorial on creating shoes including the invisiprim part here.

http://www.mermaiddiaries.com/2007/01/day-101-creating-prim-shoes-part-2.html

Viewer 2 now has alpha masks to do away with the need for invisprims. Far as I know most viewers will rez the alpha masks properly (including the latest emerald 1.4 but not viewers based on 1.23.5) but you have to be using Viewer 2 to use the alpha masks.

http://firstlife.isfullofcrap.com/2010/02/who_needs_invisiprims.html

Nyll

Thankyou Bee for the fast response.  I do have Corel PSP XI. I am very new to using it. I am still  lost as to how to do or apply the invisibility. I am just learning so I am a total rookie novice. I made shoes inworld and made an invisible block for the heels, but it made the heal disapear. Couldnt see the block, but couldnt see the heal either,lol. And since not everyone is using vierwer 2 I need a tutorial or full step by step explanation of how to do it so they are available in viewer 2, 1.23 and emerald. So I would apply the alpha thing in my psp to a texture?  Making the shoes I can do, making them wearable is the problem.  Thankyou again.

the trick with invisiprim is to hide only the parts that are sticking out. lots and lots of practise is the only advice i can give you there. i myself have made one as a sculpted prim with great success (imported lower avatar mesh w/shoe base set into a 3d program built the prim around the foot.) this way i can make sure it has a perfect fit. for basic invisiprim build - take a look at the link nyll posted.

personally i think if you are going to learn how to make shoes you might as well learn using the alpha layers as i am assuming the invisiprim will be a(n ugly) thing of the past very soon.

i can't find the link right now but i know there are some templates somewhere which allow you to presisely apply the alpha mask where you want it. white parts become the invisible area. i will see if i can find them for you.

regarding compatibility with other viewers - nyll said it best. up until now i thought they could all rez the alpha mask properly. but, if you want to use invisiprim - check out the link she posted. and practise. a lot. and perhaps also swear a lot too =D

edit - added link: here, these are the best (thank you ann otoole for hosting these): http://www.annotoole.com/CMFF/

Message was edited by: bee Baroque - added link

Faubio.Alter wrote:

In the build HUD under textures tab, scroll up the transparency settings to 100% regarding your object. This will make objects invisible.

that would make an object invisible, yes. but it will not hide the foot or other parts of the avatar mesh as the op was asking about.

Thankyou all for answering so fast,, this has been a great help.  I did look at the tutorial at mermaid and it explained alot.  Very easy to understand to.  To bad the rl people cant be as helpful of others, would be alot better place.  sending warm fuzzies to all,,, thankyou

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.