How to run SL at best setting for optimal performance?

SonicKnight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3704 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

im currently running a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit ediiton with

Intel Core I7-2670QM Quad-Duo CPU 2 2.20 GHZ

8 GB Memory RAM

Intel HD Graphics 3000

At 1920X1080 32 Bit color detph.

With the Second Life Viewer graphic setting set between Low And mid and having very bad slow down issues. Can someone assit me please?

(also, i dunno how to reply to answers, my first time using this, so help is appreciated)

2 answers to this question

Hi SonicKnight,

The Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics processor on your computer maybe one reason you're getting poor performance. You probably can't raise the graphics setting much higher than the low-mid level. But "very bad slow down issues" sounds like you could be experiencing lag as well, and that might be more of a problem than low frame rate.

First, let's address pure graphics performance. Make sure your draw distance is as low as you can tolerate, perhaps 64m. Set the maximum number of non-imposter avatars to a small number as well. I often run with that set to one, which causes only my avatar to render fully (I'm worth it!) and all other avatars to look like cardboard cutouts. If you're out with friends, you can set that higher to render some of them fully. Set your max particle count low unless you're really fond of particles. All those settings are in Preferences->Graphics.

Now, if lag is your main problem, that could be caused by communications issues between your computer and SL. Natales Urriah has a great page with numerous suggestions for improving that...

http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

Good luck!

• Like 1

That is a very poor graphics solution for Second Life.

If your computer is a desktop model, run out to Best Buy and get an NVIDIA GeForce graphics card, something in the 400 series as a minimum, and in the 700 series if your budget allows.

If it's a laptop, sell it on eBay and get a good gaming computer with an NVIDIA graphics card.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3704 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.