Walking / flying to a different parcel or region

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Walking / flying to a different parcel or region

When walking or flying to a parcel where my Experience is not permitted to run when wearing a scripted attachment changing to the new parcel animations stop, attachments detach and Experience error message shows = expected behaviour. When changing though to a connected region I need to request experience permissions again to be able to detach and stop animations otherwise legacy script errors show? I was wondering if this was a bug?!

Thanks

Black

Unless you grant perms conventionally upon attach, you will have to request exp perms for each perms based operation.

You will still get legacy errors though while you are over parcels/regions that have the experience blocked or not allowed.

Interestingly, you can place an experience based scripted object over a parcel that has the experience blocked or not allowed and it will still be able to affect agents on parcels that do. I never could think of how that could be abused, but I'm sure there are more creative minds out there that could, heh.

That is the point I am trying to make Lucia - if I drop onto the next parcel (same region) then the Experience seems to gracefully stop running detaching and stopping animations - error message and all is good in the world.  When walking into the next region (Sim) then I have to request all permissions again so that I can stop them.  I know the permission request is going to fail as I don't have the necessary permissions to run the Experience on the adjoining sim - this is why I was wondering if this was a bug.

• Lindens

I am a little confused as to what behavior is in question here. Can you give me a little bit more explanation?

The thing that is really missing, in my opinion, is a parcel changed event, so you can know when to try to re-request permissions. As it stands, the only thing you can really do is periodically check to see if you have changed parcels, and then re-request permissions then.

Walk onto a parcel that your Experience cannot run on (it has not been allowed) and the Experience will stop running. Temp HUD’s are detached / agent no longer animated. This is done with no efforts on the part of the person who wrote the Experience script. However, when walking into a new adjoining region you have to request Experience permissions to detach HUD’s / Stop animations etc otherwise the script will throw legacy script errors. To my mind this is wrong – the change of region should handled in the way as change parcel.

Hope this makes it clearer

Black

See https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-6858

The auto-detaching behaviour hinders content creation.

Experiences initially seemed to have been envisioned to be solely used in one region, one estate or same land owner parcels, which is strange considering grid-wide experiences were also created.

Experiences have more use cases and potential other than gaming applications.

In fact, I believe once experiences are released to the public, they will be used primarily to temp attach demo products, teleporting systems and database storage capability.

In regard to temp attach products, the experience will mainly be used in a secondary script that upon attach, will be disgarded and/or no longer be used. A primary script that allows interfacing will then auto-grant conventional detach/controls/animation/etc. perms. This will allow the demo product to be worn and interfaced with when the owner leaves the parcel.

Currently with the auto-detach behaviour, customers using the experience to temp attach products are restricted to the store/mall the product was attached at. They cannot go to a friend's home or info hub or hangout to show off the product or to ask opinions on it from anyone outside of the location it was attached at. Let's even forget about experience based temp attached hunt HUDs or vehicle shells/HUDs or pets, mesh bodies and so many more attach based products that aren't localized in nature.

"The auto-detaching behaviour hinders content creation."

I have to disagree with this statement Lucia - using a temp attachment for a teleport hud (in my case) which is relevant to the parcel that issued it means that the visitor is not getting extra inventory clutter  As for why the temp attachment is being  detached makes perfect sense and thank you for posting the JIRA link.

Black

Temp attaching itself prevents inventory clutter.

The auto-detach behaviour which only occurs from experience based attaching whether it is by llAttachToAvatar() or llAttachToAvatarTemp() forces content to only be usable over the experience based land it was attached on.

This is why it hinders product potential as it forcibly localizes any use case for experience based attached products.

• Lindens

llAttachToAvatar detaching is a bug, it is not inteded to auto detach. This was introduced fairly late in the cycle while working on a long standing bug which caused attachments to be ghosted on some people's viewers if they detached during a region crossing event. We are working on getting a fix through the sim pipeline.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.