Can mesh be textured inworld with standard seamless textures?

RoxanneJule

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3629 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am learning to make mesh using blender, very much a beginner. I have purchased mesh items in order to examine them and learn, and most of them allow me to apply a seamless texture inworld, adjust the repeats, and they look pretty much like a sculpted item would. When I make a simple mesh item, apply one basic white material and import, seamless textures don't work. The texture is just one big blur and I can't really adjust the repeats. I'm assuming I need to add a uv map? But, everything I've read explains how to unwrap and make a uv map and texture in blender. I really don't want to do that just yet, I just want to add one seamless texture and be able to change the texture without taking it into blender for revisions. I can find nothing on adding a basic uv map of some sort so you can apply a standard texture inworld. Is this even possible? I realize I may be way off base, but remember...just beginning to tackle a very large learning curve. Any help in finding the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

2 answers to this question

There is no such thing as a "basic UV map."  The UV map for any model is exactly that --- a 2D map of the 3D surface that is your model.   It's like a shop pattern or a dress pattern.  It describes that one particular model and nothing else.  When you try to apply a seamless texture the way you are doing it, different parts of your texture end up on different islands in the UV map. There's no way to tell where they will end up on the textured model.

Try watching the tutorial videos at machinimatrix.org, starting maybe with this one >>> http://blog.machinimatrix.org/the-basics-of-texturing-iii/

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3629 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.