Why is my second life viewer closing at initializing VFS?

monokai

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3642 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've been researching and trying everything to get it to work.

Let me stress that it does not freeze, it simply closes.

I've performed a clean reinstallment, checked over the requirements, checked my drivers and updated etc, checked for programs that may cause it not to work such as teamviewer... Nothing has worked.

Edit:

I do use windows 7, I have hidden files showing, this is my FIRST time trying to set up and log in to second life and I have tried the first suggestion below.

12 answers to this question

Your settings have become corrupted or non-functional, and the viewer loading procedure cannot complete. It's an old and stupid problem, caused by poor coding on LL's side.

Delete the file C:\Users\<your Windows username>\App Data\Roaming\<Viewer name>\user_settings.xml - Second Life will rebuild this file properly after it launches successfully.

Where <your Windows username> is the name you log into Windows and <Viewer name> is the name of your viewer (Official viewer is 'Second Life').

This answer assumes you are using Windows 7 and have Show Hidden Files checked in Control Panel > Folder Options. It also assumes you've previously had no problem running Second Life on the machine you're trying to use, and that nothing has changed. Since your post contains no useful diagnostic information, I've had to guess.

• Like 1

You might be best running a Search inside App Data/Roaming for user_settings.xml - the resource is correctly addressed, but it's possible it's not yet been created if you've had zero successful runs of Second Life.

In this event it may be more troublesome, your machine may be incapable of running Second Life for reasons I can't guess at without more information from you about your computer.

Sorry I don't know a lot about computers however I can tell you as much as I can find out, according to a friend who knows more about computers than the average Joe, I meet the requirements to run second life.

Also I tried looking and cant find it. I have had zero successful runs of second life. I'm very baffled. I have 3.8 GB usable memory, 64-bit system, Intel ® core i3 cpu m370 @ 2.40 GHz... If that helps at all? Service pack 1 and windows 7.

Will need information on graphics card and driver versions, too. The i3 M370 is a fairly old dual-core chip, you'll notice reduced performance from this.

Note that the official guidelines on Minimum Specifications on wiki.secondlife.com is inaccurate and out of date.

Laptops typically have a rougher time getting into Second Life than full PCs - make sure you're using a wired connection, not WiFi/Wireless.

Apologies for the technical nature of my responses, it's possible someone else will come by with a better explanation.

Not at all it makes sense as I research into what you're saying. I'm not sure how to find out about my graphics card and driver versions do you know how to?

I was getting a message saying that internet connection is weak when I'm right near the hub so that might be it? I'll keep trying and update you but just for now, do you know how to find out about those things? -graphics card and driver versions

I have a Toshiba satellite pro laptop... if that helps?

It does... other users have had some problems with these Toshiba Satellite laptops. Checking via Search...

• This question matches yours, but lacks informative part numbers.
  • In this question, Rolig answers that they're only capable of medium/low performance in SL.

Again, get off of Wireless and use a cable - Wireless doesn't sound like it's going to cut it.

Graphics card name and version can be found from Device Manager, System (Windows Key + Pause/Break) or dxdiag (via Run/Windows Key + R).

You'll probably have trouble using anything from ATI, and I'm afraid to say there might not be a resolution for this problem - judging by other reports.

• Like 1

Graphics card driver. :P

Intel ® HD Graphics is a start, but it'll probably have a more awkward part number.

It's difficult to advise you further without knowing more about what you're looking at - if your knowledgeable friend is still around perhaps they can check your driver version and update if necessary? Otherwise all that's needed here is the chipset name.

• Like 1

For future posts...

When you ask a tech question include information about your computer and viewer. If the viewer will at least show the login screen, get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. Help->About... provides all the version numbers we need.  To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

It also helps to know if you are using a laptop or a desktop and a wired or wireless connection.

Without that information all we can do is guess. That means you have to try all our bad guesses and eliminate them one by one. This is easier for all of us, if you give us good information to start with.

-----------

For step-by-step instructions read Firestorm's help page. The fixes work the same on the SL Viewer, you just have to change the viewer names used. http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_install_crash The VFS is second one down.

This is a somewhat common problem. So, the answer and varous fixes are in this Answers section and the forum. By doing a search you do not have to wait on us to see your request. For instance: Google VFS Crash.

Hi Nalates, I'm new and have just got here so apologies for not supplying all the information needed however I cannot even give you that as it doesn't open at all. Also I've tried both second life viewer and firestorm before posting here. Neither work so I'm really confused on what to do. I tried a clean reinstall and the suggestions by previous posters but nothing has worked so far.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3642 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.