Black screen of death!

cici Blackheart

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I was playing and my cat jumped on the keyboard. Well then my graphics were all huge, so I went into Preferences and tried to fix it, but after a few tries to get it back to normal, I think I made it worse! Now after I log on, I get a black screen (all of it), with a little floating box that says "Input not supported". This is not an SL box, but says HP in the corner (HPis the monitor I have). I went to the knowledge base, and I know how to fix it, if I could actually see anything! How can I get my monitor to pick up the game again! I even un-installed & re-installed. I don't know what else to do!

5 answers to this question

Just reinstalling does not set the viewer back to default (assuming that something got set out-of-whack by your cat.  You need to move your user settings into a temp directory and then reinstall the viewer so that it comes up as though it was being installed for the first time.  You can find your user settings here based on what computer OS you are running: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User_settings

--Cinn

Seems like you set SL to use fullscreen mode at a not supported resolution. Try to delete the settings file (settings.xml). You should find it here:

• Windows XP - C:\Documents and  Settings\<username>\Application Data\SecondLife\user_settings
    • Alternatively, use environment variable %APPDATA% to shorten this path to: %APPDATA%/SecondLife/user_settings
  • Windows Vista - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\user_settings
  • Windows 7 - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\browser_profile\user_settings
  • Mac - /Users/<username>/Library/Application  Support/SecondLife/user_settings
  • Linux - ~/.secondlife/user_settings

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.