I crash after a few minutes. Crashing in SL causes my internet connection to be turned off.

Skupik Cedarbridge

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

1 answer to this question

That does not sound good.  In fact, if that's happening regularly within a few minutes after you log in, it sounds as if you are overheating.  That can cause serious, expensive damage to your graphics card and other components.  Second Life puts a heavy demand on your graphics card, which will normally run hot when you are in world as a result.   If it is dangerously hot, your computer will try to save itself by shutting down SL or other systems.

Be sure to keep the inside of your desktop free of dust and cat hair by opening the tower and using a can of air every few weeks.  Check to be sure that all fans are spinning properly.  Consider investing in an extra fan.  If you are using a laptop, you may need to have your machine cleaned professionally.  At the very least, always be sure that it is raised off of your work surface (NOT your lap!) so that air can flow through all vents.  Buy yourself a raised base with a fan to add an extra air flow under the laptop.  It's a cheap investment (< $25 at Best Buy or WalMart).

Whether you have a desktop or a laptop, go on the Internet and find a free temperature monitoring program.  There are several out there and they all work the same way.  It will watch your operating temperature and warn you if things are getting dangerous.  My laptop's GPU usually runs at about 80-85 degrees C when I am in SL, and that's with a good fan under it.  My desktop, which has a lot more open space inside, never gets anywhere near that hot.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.