Can't log in after every step taken

goregon Gilgandra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have the most recently updated firestorm viewer and I was playing this morning when all of a sudden I was logged off of the game. My screen turned grey and it gave me the option to quit which is what I did. I tried logging back on after a few hours and couldn't get on. It was alright logging in up until it was requesting region capabilities, which is listed: Requesting Region Captabilities, Requesting Region Captabilities Attempt 2, and Requesting Region Captabilities Attempt 3. Then it just went to Waiting for Region Handshake and I got the error message "We're having trouble connecting. There may be a problem with your internet connection or the second life grid".

I have already done every step I can to get it to work. I unplugged my router, let the program through my built-in firewall, restarted my computer, and also waited a while. It even says the Grid is online according to the website, so I haven't a clue what it is. I have really fast internet as well.

1 answer to this question

When you get the message that the viewer is requesting capabilities, it means that it is having trouble connecting to the databases that include your inventory, friends list, group list, and other bits of data that you need in order to function in SL.  In other words, you are not fully logged in -- as if you didn't know.  Sometimes that means that there is a problem with the grid in SL.  Not this time, though.  There is no grid-wide alert on the Grid Status blog and there are almost 50,000 residents logged in at the moment.  It could mean that your sim is having trouble, though, so try logging in to a different sim. Choose a nice quiet one like Smith or Pooley.

If that doesn't work, the problem is almost certainly on your end.  "Fast" isn't what counts. What you need is a reliable connection -- one that doesn't loose data packets or have unexpectedly high ping time.  You have correctly rebooted your router, which often solves the problem.  You might try setting your DNS to Google: Google Public DNS  . If using Google as a DNS does not work for you then see here for alternate servers, or grab DNS Bench to help you locate one.

Of course, it could also simply be that you somehow damaged Firestorm as you were updating it.  You did do a Clean Install as directed, didn't you?  Even if you did, it couldn't hurt to do it again. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.