Rubber Prims (Edit undone when I let go)

Numpty Mistwallow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've had this problem off and on since I first tried any form of building in SL. I edit a single axis of a prim, say cutting the default cube down to .25m on the Z axis then when I let go it springs back like a rubber box that was compressed.

As I said, it's happened off and on since my first attempt at buildng but today it has happened to EVERY prim I edit. I've had the same cylinder rebound like this over 100 times in the past 45 minutes.

Somebody told me once it was down to a 'dirty mouse' but I disproved that by having it happen using keyboard input only.

I may not be the greatest builder in SL but I'd be a darn sight happier builder if this would stop happening.

Anyone know what causes this?

5 answers to this question

It can either be caused by sim lag or by packetloss.

Examine the packetloss you have in the Statistics floater (Ctrl Shift 1). Any packetloss is bad, especially more than one or two percent. Often it is a result of a wireless or otherwise unstable internet connection, or from having your bandwidth setting in Preferences too high for your actual connection.

You're right about the rubber. It's been called "rubber banding" in the past.

Happens with all things editing. Been happening to me lately too but it used to happen all the time. Data from your client is not getting through to the servers and back to your client in time so the packets are dropped hence rubber banding.

I have tried these things: (some have been mentioned. I'll sumarise)

• Check your net connections, reboot routers and do ping and speed checks. Just to check because it can be from your side.
  • Examine the packetloss you have in the Statistics floater (Ctrl Shift 1) Tyken Hightower
  • Don't use the little arrows (spinners) to adjust numbers, use exact numbers in the edit boxes and tab between them.
  • It seems worse on the ground so I've taken to building on a sky platform when I can. Cinnamon Lohner And that's where I have stayed for over 3 years. You cannot build over 4096.
  • Build in another sim across the grid somewhere.
  • Buy a 512, in another quiet sim, to build if my sim is laggy.
  • Run a home-test-grid (OpenSim) and import with a Second Inventory.
  • Logoff and do something else.
  • Persist and grumble.
  • Check the SL Status page just to be sure. http://status.secondlifegrid.net/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.