Newbie Having Problems: SL Freezes Then I Can't Log In After Restart

Vella Chrome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5192 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

1. Just created an account last nigh (Feb 6 1:30-ish AM) tand while I was editing my appearance, SL froze and I had to Ctrl+Alt+Delete to close SL.

2.  When I tried to log on again, I kept getting connect error messages during the "Waiting for region handshake" portion of the loading progress bar.

i.e: "We are having trouble connecting. There may be a problem with your internet connection or the Second Life servers...etc."

3.  My internet connection is fine as I was able to check the knowledge base and followed the advice about uninstalling Second Life then re-installing it at around 10:30 AM the same day.

4.  I was then able to log in again and after editing my avatar's apperance for about 10 minutes SL froze yet again. Again

5. After trying to restart SL, I again got the exact same connecting error message as before and had to Ctrl+Alt+Delete to close SL.

6. Help! What is wrong? Thanks in advance.

Computer Specifications:

Dell Inc. 
System Model: Dell DXP061 
BIOS Version: Dell Inc. 2.4.2 

Operating System 
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 
Version: 5.1.2600 
Service Pack: 3.0 
PID: 76487-OEM-0011903-00825
Hot Fix: KB835221WXP

Memory (RAM) 
Capacity: 2 GB

Processor 
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6320 @ 1.86GHz 
Version: x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 
Speed: 1862 MHz

General Computer Info 
System Name: DELL 
Domain: WORKGROUP 
Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time
Connection: Workstation (standalone)
Proxy Server: None
IP Address: 192.168.0.2
IPX Address: Not Enabled

Local Disk 
Total Capacity: 228.13 GB 
Sum of Hard Disks: (C: )

Used: 142.16 GB

Free: 85.97 GB

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear Vella.

When you put SL in your firewall "exceptions list" did you list it as a "trusted site" or a "restricted site"? Make sure that its "trusted".

The instructions start on the the login screen. "Edit" is found at the top left corner of the screen.

Think of a cache as a bucket. Programs like SL & internet browsers fill and take water (stored memory bits) out of the bucket. Most programs are design to empty the bucket when they are done.

By shutting the program down incorrectly such as using ctrl,alt+del the program can't empty the bucket. Now when you run the program again you still have water in the bucket with little or no room for more to be added. Now the program can't run properly if at all.

My instructions will empty the SL bucket so it can run the way it should.

As to the last part about the Ccleaner;

your computer's operating system sets aside a limited amount of hard drive space for general operations (another bucket if you like).

It to can be filled by programs and isn't always cleaned out. Over time it can fill up with crap not needed any more and will slow your computer down as it tries to find a clean place to store what it needs. Oooo even better the "cluttered closet syndrome"  LOL

Cleaners like Ccleaner will drain all the crap out of the bucket (or clean out your closet *sincker*) so your computer can run better.

I hope I was clearer this time.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5192 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.