How to create a paper thin ring?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I need to make a label to wrap around (link to) a circular clear drinking glass. The label needs to be paper thin so that it can be textured on the exterior as well as the interior without that ugly gap between. Is there a way to do this?

I know the method where you create two prims, one for the interior and one for the exterior, link them together and use alphas to make it appear to be a single paper thin prim - however this is not an option.

So I am wondering, is there another method, some setting in the tube prim that will create this?

Or another prim type, ring? That would work?

Or is there a paper thin circular sculpt map I could try out (havent found any on the mp)?

Any help is appreciated.

If the glass is a prim cylinder, a mesh label will work best if it's LOD meshes have exactly the same geometry as the prim. For perfection, the LOD switches should also happen at the same camera distance. This means the label has to be extended to the same dimensions as the glass. All things considered, if you go the mesh route, you are probably better off using a single mesh for the whole thing, glass+label. (For a mesh glass vessel, you also need to use separate materials (SL faces) on the inside and outside, even if they have the same texture, to avoid shading artefacts).

Incidentall, here are some glasses. These are lit to emphasize problems. On the left is thye best I can do with a tube prim. Notice the faulty banded shading of the inside of the hollow. It also has a small dimple in the middle of the base. Next is a mesh with just one surface each for inside and outside, each separate materials. Then another mesh, but now with each of the inside and outside faces duplicated with normals flipped. This is necessary to get the expected reflections from the base. Compare it with the simpler mesh. It uses four materials. It has proper LOD meshes, but the extra geometry raises it from 1 to 2 LI.  Adding a fifth material, you can put a thin label on it. Here the UV mapping makes the label text visible mirrored on the inside. If it needs to be opaque, that would need yet another material. I didn;t do the LODs for the labelled ones, so I don't have LI values, but I am sure it would still be 2. (size of glasses is 0.1 x 0.1 x 0.3m).

glasses2.jpg

for non mesh options a tube (hollow and profile cut) can be made with a thinner gap then a cylinder,

or you can use 2 cylinders one with only the outside texture showing and the other with inside showing (all other sides set  transparent) make the inside cylinder larger to reduce or remove the gap. 

for ether option in firestorm you could all so save the cylinders or tube as mesh and select skip transparent to remove the extra geometry from the cylinders.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.