The Noob asks, linking phantom prim to solid?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

One of the problems of beeing a noob is knowing proper nomenclature or terms to search on or describe a problem.

I unlinked a ramp style bridge from prefab house.. and discovered that I all the pieces were not linkied together,

The pieces are:

- the visible sides

- the visible walk covering

-hidden transparent solid prim

When I I leave the visible pieces without the phantom setting, instead of walking on the visible part the avatar is floating on the bounding box.  So I set the visible pieces to phantom and it the avatar looks like it is walking on the bridge. 

Linking the parts, as soon as I do that for storage and reuse on another area, the visible parts set to phantom lose thta phantom characteristic.

How do I link phantom pieces to non phantom?   I know this is common but looking for simple resouces on how to properly do this, and hopefully easy way.

I would assume that your bridge is primarily made of sculpted prims, which is why you're having issues with the bonding box.  There's a script on this page (link) named "Sculpted Children" (the last one), which will make the sculpted prims in a linked object phantom as long as they're set as child prims.  So when linking everything, be careful to select the transparent regular prim last, making it the parent prim.  As far as I know, this script should still work, even though it's based on a bug.

...Dres

ETA: Alternatively, you could just link the sculpted prims and leave the regular prim unlink, then pick it up as a coalesced object... link.  But remember, when rezzing a coalesced object, you should already be in edit mode to more easily manipulate all unlinked (usually referred to as "soft-linked") objects at once.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

From the page Dres linked:

32px-KBcaution.png
Important:
The examples listed below are
NOT NEEDED
anymore. This page is being kept for archiving purposes. Instead please
set the
to
for all child prims you want to set a phantom effect for.

Oh, you're right.  For some reason, I was thinking that you couldn't use the shape type change with sculpted prims without substantially increasing the LI for the entire object... perhaps I was mistaken about that.

...Dres

"I was thinking that you couldn't use the shape type change with sculpted prims without substantially increasing the LI for the entire object.."

The dowload weight of a sculpty is now capped at 2. When they are being set to physics type "None", their physics weight wil be zero. So no matter how big they are, the LI can't go above 1+2x number of sculpties. It would still be better as mesh because the LOD behavior is more controllable, texturing better, and rendering more efficient, but that's another story.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.