Can you explain why Firefox cannot launch Second Life ?

YA Camino

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have joined, registered, and downloaded Second Life, but when I try to launch Second Life, I get this message:

"Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (secondlife) isn't associated with any program."

Please,tell me how I can resolve this.  Thank you !

9 answers to this question

Hello YA, welcome to Second Life

Please see this article in Second Life Wiki Knowledge Base How do I get the Second Life viewer?

It only takes a few easy steps to start using Second Life®.  Follow these steps:

1. Make sure your system meets the Minimum System Requirements. Second Life will not run on systems that fail to meet these requirements.
  2. Visit the New Membership page and create your Second Life account.
  3. Visit the Download page and download the Second Life installer. It's best to save it somewhere easy, such as your desktop.
  4. Run the installer program you downloaded, to install Second Life on your computer.
  5. When the Second Life client software is installed, double-click the green Second Life icon to start the program.
  6. At the login screen, enter your Second Life account first and last name and your account password, then click Log In!
  7. If you wish to clean up, you can safely delete the installer that you downloaded above.

I don't see why firefox has anything to do with this, if its downladed (As you said) and installed, then you just click the icon from your desktop, or from the start menu. But they may have changed this since I stopped using the LL viewer and now use Greenlife Emerald Viewer.

Although I have noticed the same thing on firefox when loading SLurls, and I don't know how to fix it.

But as I said, as long as its installed and meets minimum req., you should have no problem logging on. And you can always use Internet Explorer as most things are compatible with it.

• Like 1

I'm assuming you are trying to visit a slulr by clicking in Firefox.  I had that problem for a while and it magically went away with a firefox update.  If SL is not running clicking on a slurl from a web page should open the viewer.  If you are inworld it will give you the landmark in your sl viewer.  If you copy the url to your clipboard you can paste into chat and get to it that way also.  I don't know what the problem is with Firefox but this may help you next time you see something over the web you want to visit.

Just and interesting side note.  Ajaxlife.net, I think is the name, of a browser based Second Life viewer.  Basically allows you to log into your second life avatar, you can IM, chat, tp around the map, check inventory.  You just can't see anything or move around.  This is really useful when you are on a computer that doesn't have the second life viewer installed on it, but you need to perhaps communicate with users inside SL, or check your inventory.

It's not officially sanctioned by LL, and sometimes gets blocked but mostly they don't block it now.  Seems to be a useful too.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.